Everything to do with St Samsons Square and Castlemoyne

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator, tomf

Clint
New face
New face

Bathroom tiles

Postby Clint » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I need to replace the two showers in my house in St Samsons Square. The temperature dials are both stuck - one on really hot, the other on cold (typical!!!). In order to do so, I will need to replace the tiles also.

Does anyone know what the name of the bathroom tiles are and where I can source them. I tried getting this info from the management company and they didn't know. Shannon Homes phone doesn't even work.

Thanks a thousand!!!

clint

ddub
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Re: Bathroom tiles

Postby ddub » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Cant help with the tiles sorry but try gripping the dials with a vice grip if you take the covers of them its easier :? nd try twisting and they may loosen up.
UP THE DUBS

Clint
New face
New face

Postby Clint » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:32 am

hi ddub,

I tried vice grips and an assortment of other tools.. alas, no luck..

Our plumber reckons we are better to replace the showers. Replacing the dials will only work until they go again.. :(

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Clint wrote:hi ddub,

I tried vice grips and an assortment of other tools.. alas, no luck..

Our plumber reckons we are better to replace the showers. Replacing the dials will only work until they go again.. :(

Hi all. the dials in the shower are actually thermostatic cartridges.

http://www.tapoutlet.co.uk/index.php/ca ... pSr2BAm9mV

I'm not a plumber but here's my experience. Around 2 years ago, the thermostatic mixer in the shower was starting to get really hard to maneuver. I asked a plumber friend who advised me to change the whole shower, I wasn't too impressed by that idea, so I decided to look into it myself. I dismantled the thermostatic mixer and found out it was scaled. I put it in a limescale remover (domestos limescale remover) and also used some WD-40. Guess what, it's back to normal. You can also change the cartridge which costs around 70, £80, maybe cheaper but I've asked heat merchants who don't have them in stock and would have to order them.

I've done it twice in the last 6 years and it's fine.

I personally don't take a plumber advice seriously anymore as I've learnt overtime that I sometimes do a better job myself

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:07 pm

Hey G

Great advice and many thanks - I will try it as only of mine is stuck but, thankfully at correct temp for shower - Still, I will fix it.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:12 am

tomf wrote:Hey G

Great advice and many thanks - I will try it as only of mine is stuck but, thankfully at correct temp for shower - Still, I will fix it.

It's stuck with limescale but if you get the wrench in position and give it a few taps with a hammer, it will eventually unscrew. Again, you need to make sure all valves are closed.

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shee » Sun May 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Just wondering did you get the shower dials sorted - I've the same problem in mine. As for your original question - here's my post from way back when I got extra tiles for the bathroom in St Samson's.

The tiles come from Versatile up in Beechmount Industrial Estate in Navan, ph 046-9029444. I think the tile is called Orion Beige or something along those lines.

I've already been up there and with the measurements given I think they quoted approx €230 excluding grout. There is another shop, Lucretia Tiles, Newcastle rd, Lucan Dublin ph 6241414. A few friends have recommended this shop, I think they are a wholesalers so they may have the tile in stock or maybe able to get it cheaper.

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:49 am

Shee wrote:Just wondering did you get the shower dials sorted - I've the same problem in mine.

Hi Shee,

This is the part that is stuck due to limescale building up "Vado - Wax Thermostatic Cartridge". You can either replace the part or descale it which I've done twice in the past few years. Unfortunately, I believe this is gonna become a recurrent issue

http://www.rgcbuildingsupplies.co.uk/on ... tAod_xwAog

I personally use Domestos Zero Limescale Toilet Limescale remover as it's fast and effective. It's not a big job to do and it's easy enough but you must ensure that you stopped all the valves before replacement ;-)

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shee » Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 am

That's way too complicated for me ;-) Thanks though

Return to “General Discussion”