Addresses include Churchwell Court, Churchwell Avenue, Churchwell Drive 1-11

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, tomf

thomas
Trainee User
Trainee User

Threat from Debt collector re management fees

Postby thomas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi all,
Just got a letter in from a debt collection agency threatening to bring me to court to pay the managemt fees and also charge interest.Can they do this? I have not paid as cannot afford too and do not understand why the fees are so high. The mangement company do not do anything for me at all. I have a huge mortgage and in negative equity etc etc like most of us :(

any one else in this same situation?

kaz78
Active User
Active User

Re: Threat from Debt collector re management fees

Postby kaz78 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi Thomas,

I'm in the same situtation as you with a big mortgage and house that's in negative equity but I still managed to pay my management fees when they where due for the last three years on time. Everybody has to pay their management fees otherwise the estate will fall to bits and no improvements will be made.

I'm still waiting on my windows to be cleaned and have been living in Belmayne for 3 years now and they've only ever been cleaned once. Its because of people like you who don't pay their fees this happens and its very unfair to all that pay their fees. You where given and option to pay by installments and this should make it a lot easier for you to pay them. When you purchased your property you where also told you'd have to pay fees every year so its not as if the management company started charging you for something you didn't know you had to pay.

ceo
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Postby ceo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Agree with Kaz there I'm afraid Thomas.

You have to pay your fees. You are probably getting some service and other’s may be questionable. I don’t know your particular situation or unit type but generally the only way to change the fees is to make sure the management agent is getting the best deal on your behalf as a member of the management company (if you are a member). If you are not a member you should be working with fellow resident to become one. You will be soon anyway when the Multi Unit Development becomes law.

This is an issue for many people… many who also like you have large mortgages, negative equity etc. etc. The bottom line is pay your fees and work towards getting better value or get a solicitor. Unless you can unequivocally prove that you received no service you stand little chance of a judge taking your side. But ignoring it will not make it go away and you will be liable to interest as per your lease (probably, it’s standard enough in leases).

thomas
Trainee User
Trainee User

Postby thomas » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi,
thanks for the response. I live in a 3 bed house, we recieved a bill for nearly €900. I cannot understand what would justify this large amount, i would understand if i was in an apt as block insurance, ligts etc.

I never once had my windows cleaned and even if i did this surely would not justify this large fee. The lights on the road say Dublin city council so apart from the upkeep of the play ground and greens what am i paying for?

I paid 460K for a 3 bed house, my parking spot is 5 houses down from my front door, my bedroom window looks out onto overflowing bins (not my bins) I put out my own wheelie bins out and bring them back in so again the managemt company does nothing for me that i can see to justify these large fees...

Dove
Has no life

Postby Dove » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:14 pm

I thought all the houses were 390 or thereabouts? We are in a 4 bed with apt above and paid 550 this year.
Fees have gone down as far as I know, btw that figure may have included a credit of 45 yoyos.
Also as far as I know the management company will credit your account on request re the windows.
Ours have never been cleaned in almost 3 years, we did them ourselves.

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Nell » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:31 pm

If you don't pay your mgt fees on time you will be charged interest as per your house lease. You are also liable for the cost of recouping the debt Im afraid. Best thing to do is pay by installments if you can't pay up front. Not paying your mgt fee is storing up problems as it will have to be paid eventually or you will not be able to sell the property, furthermore a judgement debt may be taken out against your house. It's quite serious so suggest you try and settle.

ceo
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Postby ceo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:03 am

That seems extremely high for a 3 bedroom house. What are you paying for? Did you see the breakdown for your unit? You should ask for this from the management agent…you should have received it already. People living in multi-unit developments need to understand management fees and what they are for. If your agent isn’t making this transparent to you then you need to work with your neighbours to get it queried and sorted. You shouldn’t; just blindly accept the fee you are being charged and crucially you shouldn’t ignore it and hope it will go away. The earlier you query and investigate the quicker you can make savings if justified. It sounds like you are being incorrectly changed for services but I can’t say for certain unless I saw your budget.

Here is an interesting example for you. When I moved into my 2-bed townhouse (now 3 bed after a garage conversion) my fees were around 1200. My neighbours and I investigated and realized that because we were adjoining an apartment block we were bundled in with the block for fees. Some were fair such as internal courtyard maintenance, which we overlook to the rear and can access, but others weren’t justified such as internal common area cleaning and lift maintenance. We queried this based on our lease which said a unit must be able to benefit from the services they are paying for and as we clearly had no access to lifts or internal cleaning (we are in own door terrace houses). We had our fees reduced on the next budget. Fees went up slightly of course for the apartments but that was not our fault that they were incorrectly calculated in the first place. We also took our bins out of the fee and now pay DCC directly. Our annual fee is now circa 600 which covers external block maintenance, wider estate maintenance, courtyard lighting, block insurance, car park gates etc. I understand where my fees are going any am happy to pay them.

But even when they were higher I paid them because I didn’t spot the mistake until later and I signed up for it. I could have gone shouting the odds at my solicitor for not spotting but what was the point… for 2 years worth of incorrect fees… it would have cost me the €1200 and more if I had to sue him.

Bottom line, as seems to be the general advice you are getting here, is you have to pay ‘cause you are legally under the kosh or figure out what is going on and get those fees down if they are incorrect. I wouldn’t waste any time and should try to get it sorted before the next budgetary year.

Shane
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shane » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:18 am

I'd agree with all said above, we need to pay the fees as that's what we signed up to in our contracts.

That said 900 for a 3 bed really sounds too high especially with no bins. Contact Kpm and ask for the budget based on house type and what your house type is.

Did they hold an AGM recently to pass the budget? Were you paying 900 from when you first moved in?

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Nell » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Agreed, sounds much too high. Review your fee and ask the agent to break it down for you.

thomas
Trainee User
Trainee User

Postby thomas » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:06 am

Appreciate the advise . thanks all

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Thomas,
First, the bad news - you have to pay your Management fees - no choice.

Now, in relation to the the charges - you, as a memebr of the Management Company are entitled to see the breakdown of fees for your unit.
First place to look is your lease document. It is clearly outlined there what portion of fees your unit has to contribute to.
Over here in Balgrififn Management Company ( Samsons/Castlemoyne) it is broken down into A/B/C/D sections.
Houses, Duplexes, Apartments and Castlemoyne all pay different fees as a proportion of the services they use ( or are allocated) from the overall budget.
Apartments, for example are highest; duplexes next; townhouse next and the semi-d's ver in Castlemoyne the lowest as they look after their own reffuse and gardens and insurance etc..

So, you need ot be armed with your lease and your unit type and check carefully. We have spotted mistakes over here in Balgriffin and, of course, if some units are charged more in error and it is corrected then, of course, the rest of theunits in different types have to take up the slack as the overall top figure for the year does not change.

Hope you get it sorted - but post anything questions here and we will do our best to answer

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

wardkingg
New face
New face

Postby wardkingg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:40 pm

My neighbours and I advised and accomplished that because we were abutting an accommodation block we were arranged in with the block for fees. Some were fair such as centralised courtyard maintenance, which we discount to the rear and can access, but others weren’t justified such as centralised accepted breadth charwoman and lift maintenance.

bid
Trainee User
Trainee User

Postby bid » Tue May 28, 2013 11:26 am

Tom,
Where would you get a copy of your lease?

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi

Sorry the terrible late reply.

Your solicitor will have a copy of your specific lease.

He is obliged to give you a copy of it. - Just ask

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

Return to “Belmayne - Shannon Homes”