Serious structural cracks ST SAMSONS!!

Everything to do with St Samsons Square and Castlemoyne

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator

cornell
New face
New face

Serious structural cracks ST SAMSONS!!

Post by cornell » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:05 am

We're in our home over 4 yearsin St. Samsons now and have massive cracks in our walls and suspect it could be PYRITE. Seriously worried... going to organise to get a structural engineer in asap. Anyone else having problems
with this..???

ddub
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Re: Serious structural cracks ST SAMSONS!!

Post by ddub » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:38 pm

There,s been a number of cracked windows in st samsons in the last few years.Had one myself and got on to mgt co and they had it replaced.Never thought much of it at the time but it was a bit strange when i heard other people have had the same issues also i have a bit of cracking on an outside wall but i think as far as i remember anyway it was there when i got the snag list done and the guy said it was settling ,it hasnt got any worse in the 4 years i been here but i would.nt be surprised to hear we have pyrite anyway let us know how ye get on and we,ll hope for the bes t.
UP THE DUBS

ddub
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by ddub » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Try mgt co as the builders may still be involved and may be of help
UP THE DUBS

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 pm

cornell wrote:We're in our home over 4 yearsin St. Samsons now and have massive cracks in our walls and suspect it could be PYRITE. Seriously worried... going to organise to get a structural engineer in asap. Anyone else having problems
with this..???

moved in 7yrs ago since the start. We've had a few cracks (stairs mainly) but it's due to settling and
If it was pyrite I would certainly notice it, especially where we tiled the walls 6yrs ago.

Are the cracks on the concrete walls ? inside/outside ? on the concrete floor ? Do you notice drafts ? How large are the cracks ?

I'm in the residents management committee for the last few number of years and we've never been told of this. You should report it to the management company and keep us updated.

Regards
Gaetan

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by tomf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:38 pm

I would urge everyone to inform management committee of any dealings with Management company. You can deal directly with KPM- never an issue. However, by reporting also to management committee we may begin to spot trends with particular problems we would never know about otherwise

Thanks
Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by tomf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Cornell

Just a quick question - before you mention Pyrite and begin scaring the people - why not get your structural engineer in and tell us what he says.

By posting in June and it is now near end of July, would you now think you could come back and answers the questions asked in terms of 1) did you get your structural engineer 2) what did he say 3) what type of unit are you in 4) type of crack 5) inside or outside? Depth of crack - where exactly is it?

Some photos if you have are always useful.

I've been here since day 1 practically and not seen anything to worry me so far. Never been an issued raised at any AGM for past 6 years either.

Of course, 1 serious structural problem is 1 too many but, please update us if it has been resolved or not

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty