Oil/Petrol being dumped in the stream

Everything to do with St Samsons Square and Castlemoyne

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator, tomf

veroxan
New face
New face

Oil/Petrol being dumped in the stream

Postby veroxan » Sat May 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Someone has been dumpling oil or petrol (we are not 100% sure what it is) in the stream for the last 2-3 days in really alarming volumes.

This is the streams that goes between St Samson's Square and Belmayne. Our dog jumped into the water a couple of days ago and got completely covered on it. We didn't think it was that big but then for the last couple of days we have seen big stains of oil getting down the river.

I constantly see loads of dogs and also kids playing in and around the water and I think it means a huge risk for everyone around it.

We are going to contact the council about it but it would be good that everyone is aware about this too.
Attachments
IMG-20120505-WA001.jpg
IMG-20120505-WA001.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
IMG-20120505-WA000.jpg
IMG-20120505-WA000.jpg (89.85 KiB) Viewed 2290 times

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Re: Oil/Petrol being dumped in the stream

Postby tomf » Sat May 12, 2012 10:24 am

Hi
Thanks for the post - this is the type of reason we started the forum !

Just as a possible explanation ( I'm not saying for sure !) - the river flows down to us from the airport.
All the run off water from the old runway goes into the river - planning laws back then ( if any) were not as strict as they are now.

With the recent heavy rain you might have this coming down to us from the airport.

This certainly happens with you get very heavy rains and the river rises dramatically in height - then the water backs up around Campions and floods the road right down past the graveyard and all the way down to Castlemoyne entrance.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shee » Sun May 13, 2012 7:38 pm

On Friday evening there was two county council vans parked up near to the creche - I presume they were checking out the river

veroxan
New face
New face

Postby veroxan » Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm

That's great news to hear they were there, unfortunately there has been no change on the river...it brings more and more petrol everyday.

We rang a couple of times more to the city council as they told us we will be updated after they check the river.

Will let you know if any news.

Thanks Tomf and Shee for your replies!!

Vero

Return to “General Discussion”