lights in Saint Samsons Court Communal Area

Everything to do with St Samsons Square and Castlemoyne

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator

gqma0
Has no life

Re: lights in Saint Samsons Court Communal Area

Post by gqma0 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Tom and I have taken this matter into consideration and we now have tools and spare parts to get out of the dark. We've identified the different circuits and we will also monitor the one that seems to be causing the problem, so not all the lights will be on over the next few nights to narrow down and identify the culprit

ddub
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by ddub » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Fair play guys.Many tnks.
UP THE DUBS

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Shee » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:41 pm

Multi talented and multi tasking - I'm impressed

Thank you

Haitham
Active User
Active User

Post by Haitham » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:33 am

Any Updates regarding these lights !!!!

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:19 am

Haitham wrote:Any Updates regarding these lights !!!!

Not yet but I'll be getting back at the agent.

Bottom line is that we've identified the faulty circuit and asked for a quote from the electrician for the repair cost. There's a short circuit somewhere.

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:28 am

Just to give you an update on the communal lights and cost overall so far

Tomf and I replaced 13 bulbs and secured some of the bollard heads (2 in the square and 11 in the court)

St Samson's Square:
- The bulbs were simply gone. There are no signs of vandalism or tampering on them

St Samson's Court:
I originally got cheaper bulbs Sylvania MBF "Mercury Based Floodlights" 80W (€5.8 / unit incl P&P) but they were the wrong ones as the fittings allow only HPS bulbs (€6.5 / unit). Also the MBF bulbs were a different color vs the HPS bulb (extra bright white vs orange) and I believe one resident in the square expressed a concern.
Note the bulbs were charged by the electrician contractor €25 / unit.

There has been a total of at least 7 bollards damaged and vandalized and they're all pretty much in the same area.

The reason why the lights have been tripping out is due to water damage in the bollards during bad weather and causing short circuit. 2 bollards have the head missing and we covered them with Plastic bags in the meantime until we can get a head replacement. Also, not only this was purely due to damage on the units but also negligence from the electrician contractor who didn't properly secure the heads and it allowed water to get in.

As of last night, there were 15 bollards working and 7 are still out of order.

- 2 bollard heads are missing. (Part # 59002320. Cost £112.49) directly from Thorn. The good news is that we can replace the head with a Balast one at a cheaper cost 59002321 priced at £24.24 each

- 3 of the fittings have been broken. E27 socket lampholder and may need the part to be replaced (Part # 59001746. Cost £21.95). The electrician contractor must have removed some of these parts on at least 2 bollards, so replacing the head wouldn't be sufficient to fix them all

- We couldn't change the bulbs in 2 bollards cause we couldn't open due to hard access. We're awaiting the special triangle key (proprietary) which I've ordered and we're possibly looking at 2 more fixed lights

- The fluorescent lighting in the bin shed is working now.

Overall cost so far: €183 for parts. No labor cost

This result was purely due to vandalism in the communal area. Just to give you an idea of how much an electrical contractor costs, We've had an invoice from 2 yrs for a total of +2000E. Your property is your investment and it's up to you to look after it and the surroundings, so any type of such behavior must be reported straight ahead to Tony@kpm.ie (01 8442400) and also to rc@balgriffin.com. It's your duty

Thanks in advance
Regards

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Shee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:36 pm

I noticed the difference last night in the Court - Thank you

ddub
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by ddub » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks for the update.Both yours and toms efforts are greatly appreciated.
UP THE DUBS

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:57 am

This is still work in progress.

Hopefully, we should have 2 more lights working in the alleys soon.
For the other ones, we just need to get the parts after the directors agreed on the cost and expense them.

ffingers
Trainee User
Trainee User

Post by ffingers » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm

I see the lights in the Court have gone down again - seems they get fixed, look great & then
a few days later, most (if not all of the lights) are out again!...even though a couple of the residents
have been trying their best to fix them, is there any way a proper electrian/company can be brought
in by the Mgt. Co. to try sort the problem out properly for once & for all!?

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:46 pm

ffingers wrote:I see the lights in the Court have gone down again - seems they get fixed, look great & then
a few days later, most (if not all of the lights) are out again!...even though a couple of the residents
have been trying their best to fix them, is there any way a proper electrian/company can be brought
in by the Mgt. Co. to try sort the problem out properly for once & for all!?

Since I'm away, Tomf removed the fuse for the 3rd circuit. The short circuit is linked to water damage. The electrical contractor used by the management company had already been on the site many times in the past and never fixed it. Still, they kept charging us and believe me, the bills were high. 2 new bollard heads have been ordered and we're awaiting for the weather to improve to narrow down the culprit.

The same contracting company has been requested to fix lights in an appartment block without the resident's committee consent and it's that same company that has already been contracted onsite. We believe a new electrician contractor would do the same thing.

Again, it's vandalism and lack of professionalism from the contractor that are to be blamed. We're doing the best and we'll get to the bottom of it. Either we do that and we save money or we keep getting charged for lousy jobs

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 am

Just a quick update on this note. The 2 bollards that are covered with plastic had been poked at by the kids. #
With the recent bad weather, water infiltrated and caused the short circuit. The plastic cover is a temporary solution until the bollard heads that have been ordered arrive. I've asked for an update on the delivery as I ordered them 3 weeks ago and they're still not in stock but they should be in soon.

We'll keep you updated.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by tomf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:46 am

Hi all

Hopefully all the Bollard lights in the Court are now working.

Bulbs/heads and all have been replaced.

We are hopeful it is fixed as, God knows, there has been enough rain to test the lights in the past two weeks.

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 am

tomf wrote:Hi all

Hopefully all the Bollard light circuits in the Court are now working.

Bulbs/heads and all have been replaced.

We are hopeful it is fixed as, God knows, there has been enough rain to test the lights in the past two weeks.

Tom

There are still 6 bollards that are to be fixed but need parts to be changed. Hopefully, we'll get them fixed within the next few weeks.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by tomf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 am

Hi G

Yes, I meant the three circuits - yea, we know about the 6 lights - will be done as we get the replacement parts.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty