Everything to do with St Samsons Square and Castlemoyne

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator, tomf

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Electric Pump for Showers not working

Postby tomf » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi

Went away for a week and for the first time ever, I turned off the electric pump for the shower from the switch outside the hot-press.
Came back, turned on switch, and pump now not working.
Checked fuse - it is fine.
I believe there is a ''reset switch'' somewhere on the pump, but, of course, I don't have the manual.

Any people out there better than me with any ideas?

Thanks

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

gqma0
Has no life

Re: Electric Pump for Showers not working

Postby gqma0 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:35 am

Hi Tomf,

Check this out.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2109&p=10885&hilit=pump#p10885

It's either the capacitor (I have spare ones) or the PCB (costs around €45)

cheers

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi

Replaced capacitor and no different - actually, my capacitor looked fine so I did not think it was that.

PCB is next - bit of a pain as there are so many wires - just a steady job and I will number each wire and then take photos so I know where they go back once I replace the PCB

So, trip to Modern Plant is next on the list.

AshM
Regular User
Regular User

Postby AshM » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Hey Tom
How did you get on in the end with the pump? Mine's giving me problems now. It keeps cutting in and out and I have to reset it by switching it off, opening all the taps in the bathrooms and then switching it back on. Seems to work okay then but appliances can't be left unsupervised as the pump stops and then they stop and then the pump seems to heat up to some incredible temperature!
Can you recommend someone who you used to fix it?
Thanks!

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Listen for any humming noise from the pump. It could be the capacitor. Easy to replace.

AshM
Regular User
Regular User

Postby AshM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks!

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:49 pm

I have spare capacitor

Also, in my case it is the printed circuit board.

Finally, cutting in and out may mean the minimum flow of water is not being fed to the pump?

Just an idea

AshM
Regular User
Regular User

Postby AshM » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:51 am

Thanks! I had to get the PCB and capacitor replaced.
Apparently the pump being connected to the appliances is the issue.
The pumps were not designed for that but they were connected that way for simplicity.
Hope this helps.

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:23 am

AshM wrote:Thanks! I had to get the PCB and capacitor replaced.
Apparently the pump being connected to the appliances is the issue.
The pumps were not designed for that but they were connected that way for simplicity.
Hope this helps.

Hi AshM, would you mind sharing the cost of the overall repair with others just for awareness ? Did you sort it out yourself or did you deal with the manufacturer directly ?

AshM
Regular User
Regular User

Postby AshM » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Of course. The whole thing cost EUR170 including the pump maintenace people coming in to fit it for me. I'm not as handy as some here so I wouldn't even know where to start to fix it myself. The whole thing only took about 20 minutes. I told them I wanted it repaired as opposed to replaced. I heard that some plumbers know this is an issue with these pumps and will insit on replacing the pump, take the old one away, replace the PCB and capacitor themselves and sell them on or replace them as new pumps in other homes.

I went to The Shower Doctors who were very professional and have the maintenance contracts for the Stuart Turner pumps in Dublin: http://www.theshowerdoctors.ie/pumps. I called them on a Thursday and they arranged a time with me for Monday afternoon.

AshM
Regular User
Regular User

Postby AshM » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:44 pm

One more thing. The Guy who fixed it for me says that the PCB comes with the capacitor and if you're replacing the PCB you should replace the capacitor as it's sold as one unit as such. Obviously, being a Girl, I could be told anything that suits so you can disregard this info if you don't think it's relevant.

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:15 pm

AshM wrote:One more thing. The Guy who fixed it for me says that the PCB comes with the capacitor and if you're replacing the PCB you should replace the capacitor as it's sold as one unit as such. Obviously, being a Girl, I could be told anything that suits so you can disregard this info if you don't think it's relevant.

Thanks for sharing the information. It just confirms the quote I received from Chris from Modern Plant a while ago (Maintenance cost between 140-180). Indeed the Shower Doctors are the maintenance contractor for Modern Plant. They charge a callout charge + labour + parts. Since the PCB costs €45 and capacitor costs no more than €10, I thought at the time that €125 callout+labour was still high in these circumstances.

As for the PCB and Capacitor, this is wrong but you could have a different model. I replaced my capacitor without having to solder it and it was separate from the PCB. It was an easy job anyway and it only took a few minutes.

thanks again
Cheers

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Still not fixed it but will get PCB this week and sort it out.

Lot of wires to remove and I'm sure there is on board fuse/regulator which is blown. Once I take out the board I will test it and find the dodgy part.

I'd like to agree - PCB AND CAPACITOR are separate !!

Unfortunately, mine is the PCB - just have to get down and dirty and replace it.

Tom

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Ok

Finally got around to buying new PCB from Modern Plant on the Naas Rd. 52 Euro was the cost.

It is a very awkward job to do.

Not technically challenging - just swap over 1 wire at a time.

But, just bloody awkward as my pump is squeezed beside the hot tank in the hotpress and very very awkward to get to.

Also, it was not helped by the fact the new PCB is a slightly different/redesigned one than the old one where all but two connections were on the left hand side of the board.

The new board has the live/neutral on same side as the capacitor connections.

This meant I have to extend the live/neutral wires to reach the new connection on the (now) right hand side.

I suppose the main problem, in my case was the confined space.

However, all is well and I'm back in action.

Tom

Denners
New face
New face

Postby Denners » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Lads,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the detail here. We've had this exact issue for the best part of a year and were worried that we'd have to replace the system. Following the advice here though, we contacted the Shower Doctors and a day later they had a guy here to replace the PCB and the Capacitor. Apparently the pump itself is fine but the PCB is not suitable for supplying the showers and the kitchen machines. But the new PCB has a transistor and is better equipped to deal with the problem (probably why the wiring was tricky). 170 euro and (fingers crossed!) the issue is sorted with a one year guarantee on the parts!

Thanks again folks!

Return to “General Discussion”