Everything to do with St Samsons Square and Castlemoyne

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Sky Shared Dish System

Post by tomf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi
as everyone knows, the erection of Satellite on your house/apartment is strictly forbidden under the terms of your lease.
I am only speaking of St Samson's here.
We have been, for the past number of years, turning a blind eye to this as long as people were considered enough to erect the dish within the courtyard side and not on front of houses/apartments.
However in doing this, we are ignoring the concerns of people who believe Sat Dishes are an eyesore and should never be allowed. Actually we do have residents who say the reason they bought in the development is for the very reason Sat Dishes were banned.
So, we believe we have a solution.
A Sky Shared Dish System.
Effectively, what this comprises of are 3-4 sat dishes in very discrete spots in the development, linked to outside of all units by a fiber optic cable. Once a client expresses interest in Sky then it is only a feed from the Fiber Optic cable and no Sat dish is required from the resident.
Existing dishes would be removed in order to comply with the lease. The need for Sat Dishes would be removed in the future we are also in the happy situation of offering additional choice to the owners in Samson's Square in Court.
The small Fiber Optic cable runs on front of the units and is very very discrete. Drops to houses/Apartments are generally done behind drainpipes.
Existing clients are transferred over and all dishes are removed - save for the small number installed by Sky to run this Shared Dish System
The site is surveyed and we are ready to go.
However, we need the feedback of residents and the Director's sign off.
Managing agent is in favour.
If you want to see the Shared Dish system in action in terms of the look of the installed cable then please take a walk in Belmayne - it is wired and your have to be really observant to see the cable.

We are open for comments but would hope to install the wiring in the next month unless we get serious objections.

Have a look here for some photos:
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=SQNQZQKY

Thanks

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

gqma0
Has no life

Re: Sky Shared Dish System

Post by gqma0 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Tom,

How soon would the work start ? Do we have to wait for an agreement from the residents who are existing customers following our conversation yesterday ?

Cheers.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by tomf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:10 am

Hi

we are investigating the situation with running cable ( no matter how small) past the outside of the townhouses.
Maybe we have to get individual permission. Will take a number of days to check out leases and such. If we have to get permission then we will have to go to individual owners and get them to sign a permission .

Might delay things. Hope it does not come to that as in Belmayne they seem to have put the cable up without any problems.

Sky are ready to do the install. We just need to get ourselves sorted out

Tom

Dove
Has no life

Post by Dove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:03 am

Hi guys, if I remember correctly there were a few minor hiccups during the installation period. Sky did not appear to request permission from certain householders who would have a freehold status, and had to wire across the houses as some are adjoined to apartments. Some of these householders were on holiday at the time and were quite annoyed on their arrival home. However a quick phonecall of complaint to Sky and (I assume the management company!) and they got cut price packages with Sky for their trouble.
Have to say it is a great service to have, and you do not notice the wires. We already had a dish on our back wall, with no issues. I am delighted Sky is in Belmayne now and people have alternative options. :)

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by tomf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Dove
Thanks for that - great to get feedback.
Thanks for saying the wiring is very unobtrusive. I had a walk around Belmayne with the Sky people and, frankly, unless you were looking for it, you would not see the wiring on the wall.
Yes, running across freehold properties could be problem and we will check the leases for the townhouses to see the legal position. Over in Samson's we will be upfront and get agreements , if we really have to.

The whole idea of the wiring is to ensure we comply with the lease regulations as everyone signed up to - simply, no satellites allowed. They are very unsightly and now some people have placed them on front of their units, so, time has come not to turn blind eye anymore.

However, we believe in choice also and it gives people like me who would no put up satellite dish ( because it breaks the lease) the choice/option to then chooses Sky.

Were you existing Sky user prior to teh wiring going in? Can you explain to people the ''switch over'' from Sat to wired solution and if it cost you anything - did they take down your dish?

Thanks

Dove
Has no life

Post by Dove » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Tom,
We were existing Sky subscribers and have our dish way down on our back wall with no issues. I did get onto Sky at the time of the rewiring and it is free to change over. However I am in the Shannon homes section of Belmayne and my entire block consisting of up to ?80 units has only about 7 units occupied if I am correct.
So Sky suggested I keep my dish for now, even though we are wired. Fortunately you do not have that situation in St Samsons so it should just be an easy free switchover for those with dishes. Sky do everything and take away the dishes on request.
My sister has gone with the new system as have her neighbours in a different section of Shannon Homes and they are very happy with the service.
There is not much more I can say to be honest. I am surprised there has not been more discussion in the forum on Sky.
When the time comes we will change over. Just waiting for Fahey to sell his remaining stock!

fatherstack
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fatherstack » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Just in relation to Sky running wires along the wires along the houses just be careful. Sky contract out this type of
work to cowboys who have little regard for others property. In Belmayne they drilled holes in various houses where they saw fit and they had to place a small rectangular box on about one in every five houses. All this happened even though ourselves and no one we know had requested sky!!!

Dove
Has no life

Post by Dove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:43 am

I do agree with you there fatherstack, Sky just came along and started drilling. However there are no obvious wires where I am. Still it was presumptious of them to go ahead. At least St Samsons have requested the service so will know in advance unlike us here. Bottom line is we have additional options now, we can have any of the media services. Far cry from being limited to Magnet as was the case initially. My daughter is renting what I have to say is a lovely big apartment in Burnell Court but can only get Magnet. I can see her out of there as soon as her contract is up.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by tomf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks for all the comments.

We have the advantage of raising the subject beforehand to allow people a voice. Also, we are checking all leases to ensure the various legal angles are covered. In addition, we will ask permission where required.

In relation to drilling holes - well, they should only be done to mount the junciton boxes.
We will have the advantage, if we go ahead, to know when they are installing and to ensure the job is done properly.

This is all about two things 1) ensuring people comply with the lease conditions and 2) to give choice.

I will just ask a question - should we just enforce the ban on dishes and offer no solution?

Shared Dish is a solution and alows people choice while ensure the place is not covered in dishes.

Tom

ethanehunt
New face
New face

Post by ethanehunt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 am

Don't you have any friends who live nearer than 30 miles? I don't actually know anybody who doesn't have a Sky box - certainly all of my neighbours except one do, and I get on well enough with all of them that I would not feel embarrassed to ask if I could borrow their box for five minutes.

Alternatively just buy one off ebay - you shouldn't have to pay more than a fiver (which will cost less than a round trip of sixty miles in petrol). Then use the Sky box that you buy as a Freesat box anyway - it'll give you access to more channels than a true Freesat box will.

Alan
Addicted
Addicted

Post by Alan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Just a query about sky in belmayne. I am in a 5th floor apartment and there is a fiber optic cable that goes across the roof and over my balcony wall. Is it possible to use this cable to hook up a free view box of some kind or is it a case that the cable needs to be "activated" from sky?

Anyone done something similar?

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

You will find out that you can plug any FTV (free-to-view) digital box to receive the UK channels. Tomf might be able to support this as I don't have the UK channels.

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Shee » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Still using UPC but hoping to change as need Wifi sooner rather than later.

Saw an advert for the Easy Free TV to cut down on bills etc as we pay €800 plus a year and don't really watch much telly -- I emailed the company and made them aware that we have the Sky Shared Dish System and this is the reply.

'If I can hook you up to the communal satellite dish which may be problematic I could do it for €299. Now another problem you might have is if you are in an apartment because you also need an aerial but if you want i could drop down and do a free survey to see if its possible? I'm only in Artane so it would be handy for me to drop in some time if that suits?

Am I going against management rules if I go with this ???

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Shee wrote:Still using UPC but hoping to change as need Wifi sooner rather than later.

Saw an advert for the Easy Free TV to cut down on bills etc as we pay €800 plus a year and don't really watch much telly -- I emailed the company and made them aware that we have the Sky Shared Dish System and this is the reply.

'If I can hook you up to the communal satellite dish which may be problematic I could do it for €299. Now another problem you might have is if you are in an apartment because you also need an aerial but if you want i could drop down and do a free survey to see if its possible? I'm only in Artane so it would be handy for me to drop in some time if that suits?

Am I going against management rules if I go with this ???

Hi Shee,

We have the Sky shared dish and therefore we receive the UK FTV channels via the communal satellite dish pointed to Astra 28.2. In order to receive both the UK channels and Irish digital terrestrial TV stations, the best would be to get a combo receiver

http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-digital- ... combo.html

There are lots on the market which would allow you to receive the UK FTV channels from the communal satellite dish and you would need to have an aerial to receive the Saoirview channels. You could get a static pole to erect the antenna and therefore it wouldn't be physically attached to the wall. Something like this

http://www.tvtrade.ie/aluminium-aerial- ... -32mm.html
http://www.justshop.ie/9kg-stone-resin- ... -1284.html

The Terrestrial antennas aren't expensive

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/t ... icamp=recs

The Saorview transmitter is based in Three Rock and you would have a clear line of sight as your place is facing south.

As for the receivers and prices, they depend on features included (Personal Video Recorder, HD, etc..)

It doesn't require a lot of knowledge to set one up but you can compare the prices and decide.

Cheers.

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Shee » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi Gaetan

Do you have an english version of your reply .... ha ha

I'll take a look at the information you've given me but I may require your expertise to help me decide.