Meeting regarding management companies

General Announcements

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, tomf

Administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Meeting regarding management companies

Postby Administrator » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:58 am

Just a note to let anyone who doesn't know there is a meeting in the Donaghmede inn tonight at 8pm regarding management companies with some local TD's in attendance. As far as I can tell it's to do with any estates in the general area. I don't know anything more than the leaflet that was dropped in the door but I'll be there to see what the story is anyways.

Linda
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Linda » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:47 am

any update how the meeting went - could not make it

Bazza
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Postby Bazza » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

Basically, it was a know your rights in relation to management companies. People airing their grievences and trying to find practical solutions.

Just basically

1. what to watch out for in Management company services charges etc make sure not being charged for something that is not happening
2. Developer should be paying service charges on unsold units
3. Set up residents committee straight away and get actively involved
4. contact local TD or councillors etc if you are not getting anywhere (Terence Flanagan TD in attendance)
5. Guest Speaker was a member from DCC who did a report a year or 2 ago on managin agents - average service charge 1,600 per year
6. Make sure sinking fun is put on a deposit account and not used by agent as slush fund for current account

AshM
Regular User
Regular User

Postby AshM » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:15 pm

One more good tip from the meeting...get a copy of your lease from your lender or solicitor and make sure you know what's in it. It contains all the information on the management company, responsibilities of the agent and how service charges are applied.

We will also need to make sure we get itemised management fee quotes so we can each see exactly what we are being charged for. Last year I was charged for lift maintenance when there's no lift in my building.

AC
Trainee User
Trainee User

Postby AC » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks Bazza and AshM for the info, much appreciated!!

Has anyone heard anything about the fees this year yet? I'm in Belmayne Park North also, we only moved in this time last year, so would be due fees soon.

Dove
Has no life

Postby Dove » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:16 am

Last edited by Dove on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bazza
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Postby Bazza » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:56 am

Hi Dove,

Each management agents have their own rules but generally, i think, it is that everyone pays on the same date- say for example 1st Jan 08 @ €2000. If you move in 1st June 08 you pay €2000 to 1st May. However to bring everyone into the same pay period, you should get a bill in Jan 09 for say €2000. This bill will have a credit of €1000 (as you have paid until 31st May) so for the year 2009 you only owe 1,000.

As I say each estate has their own rules and i could be wrong, but this i think is generally how it is done.

Return to “Announcements”