Addresses include Churchwell Court, Churchwell Avenue, Churchwell Drive 1-11

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, tomf

Steevo
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

How do I bleed Radiators?

Postby Steevo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi,

I've only started to turn on the heat again recently since the summer. I can hear a lot of air in the system and some of the radiators are not warming up fully so I need to bleed the system. The radiators are not like the radiators where I need a key for. Does anyone know how I go about doing this? There is a little fitting on the right of the radiator that I can loosen/tighten with my hand. Not sure what this is. Within this fitting, it looks as if there is a little brass screw - I'm thinking this might be the bit I need to loosen but thought I'd check before I flood the place!

Thanks

susand
Has no life

Re: How do I bleed Radiators?

Postby susand » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Ime not an expert at al at all... The radiators have a vent like screw to the rear of the top right of the radiator or sometimes on the top. You have to put your heating on to the highest setting then individually go round them all until you draw a little water or the hissing stops. Happy heating.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:11 pm

hi

any hardware shop will sell you a little triangular cover type wrench for opening the nut at the top of the rads .
check that the pipe coming into the radiator is warm and the bottom of the rad may also be warm while top is cold - sure sign of air.
Open the valve until you hear the hissing of air stop and you then see water - close immediately.
If you do this and the rad still does not get hot then it is what is called balancing the radiators -whole different ball game.

I've done it in mine and it works out ok . Let me know or PM me

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

Gerry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Gerry » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:38 pm

G=Hi Guys

You don't need any specific tool for the rads in our houses, just a flat head screwdriver... you need a fairly small one... go to the end with the screw (not the side with the big nut) and turn the screw a bit until water starts to run out... do it slowly and have something to clean up with... the water can be black so don't have your sunday shirt on!!

Gerry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Gerry » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Guys

You don't need any specific tool for the rads in our houses, just a flat head screwdriver... you need a fairly small one... go to the end with the screw (not the side with the big nut) and turn the screw a bit until water starts to run out... do it slowly and have something to clean up with... the water can be black so don't have your sunday shirt on!!

thegasman
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Postby thegasman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 am

stevo if you get water out of the rad when bleeding and it still wont heat youve got an air lock,you might be able to sort this out by balancing the rads out properly in your whole house, i have fixed a few heating systems in belmayne and have found the LM houses to be the worst for heating air locks as the plumber hadnt used any auto air vents on the heating system shannon homes dont seem to have this problem must of been a different set of plumbers if you need any help you can give me a buzz.

mark 0857432166

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shee » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:08 pm

If you have sorted this out already , hope it worked. But if anyone else is bleeding the radiators for the first time, ensure you use, WD40 (or similiar) around the brass screw as I didn't and broke the brass screw off altogether .... least I learnt from this ,the radiator still heats so not all bad

squirg2004
Trainee User
Trainee User

Postby squirg2004 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Last week I knew I had to finally get down to bleeding the radiators in the house, as they were freezing-cold at the top & hot at the bottom.
We were getting very little heat, but got a massive heating bill!

I found a really good video online about how to bleed a radiator, the guy explains really well & makes it look really simple (and IT IS, I did by myself!).
First you'll need the bleeding key >> hardware stores sell it for €2.00

Then watch the video on: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/bleeding_a_radiator.htm

This guy is really good > check also "how to repressurise your boiler" > (scroll down the web page) you might need to repressurise it depending on how much air was in your radiators..
Note: our boiler at home is NOT a combi boiler, there is no filling loop, so I reckon it might be the same for you. If you need to know how to do it, just pm me/ ask & I'll post my "how to" guide. I'm no plumber myself, but I was shown how to do it -safely- by an expert plumber.

Hope that helps :)

Mons
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Mons » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks to all. Very useful information and video link.

Return to “Belmayne - Shannon Homes”