Addresses include Churchwell Court, Churchwell Avenue, Churchwell Drive 1-11

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, tomf

doreilly
Addicted
Addicted

Anyone having problem with damp?

Postby doreilly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:50 am

Hi All,

Having a problem in our main bedroom with dampness. Basically clothes in the wardrobes smelling musky and in some cases mould growing on them which is not good.

Vents in the en suite and bedroom are left open all the time and radiator in the bedroom is on full when we have the heat on.

I was going to contact Shannon Homes but they will probably laugh at me as usual.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue? Do you think I have a case if I ring them?

Cheers.

gqma0
Has no life

Re: Anyone having problem with damp?

Postby gqma0 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:29 am

Hi doreilly,

Sorry to hear that.

You'll have to try and identify where the fault is coming from but it could be coming from behind the wardrobe. You should see patches. If that's the case, then you should contact the management company
- Make sure you don't overheat the room. Keep it at a steady 19º, 20º.
- Make sure it's also ventilated properly.
- Also ensure that you filled all gaps with some silicone based products, especially around the windows.
- I would also advise to remove all the clothes from the wardrobe until the issue is sorted out or else you can find yourself getting another few washes and in some cases you might have to throw the clothes where patches haven't disappeared.
- B&Q are also great for advising.

In the meantime, you might want to get your hands on some Calcium chloride that you'd put in a colander on top of a bucket in the wardrobe.
http://www.mistral.ie/details.php?code=CALFL
This will collect the water in the bucket.

or buy a dehumidifier (a bit more expensive) but very useful for long term

Also look there for other information or google around
http://www.dampco.ie/

We've had that issue years ago in an appartment we were renting out. The landlord never sorted it out and we had enought of it. The issue was actually coming from the outside of the building.

Hope that helps and let us know how you're getting on.
Gaetan

doreilly
Addicted
Addicted

Postby doreilly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Gaetan,

Many thanks for your helpful response :)

I'll try filling in around the windows, etc and let you know how it goes.

Cheers :)

cands
Active User
Active User

Postby cands » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:28 am

We had a problem with dampness in the main bedroom in our apartment but the problem arose from two things.

(1) the tenant was drying all the clothes on a clothes horse in the room and not leaving the vents open in the window to allow for ventilation
(2) there was a problem with the extractor fan in the bathroom as it wasn't connected properly causing the steam to travel back down the pipes.

Shannon homes did come along (eventually) and connect the pipe up properly and the problem seems to have improved.

susand
Has no life

Postby susand » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:58 pm

I too noticed this in the past (Damp feeling cloths etc) I open all windows in the apartment just before the shower goes on and and close them after using the hair drier. Try to dry washing outside and leave vents open all day while you are at work. This may help, it worked for me.

Return to “Belmayne - Shannon Homes”