Addresses include Churchwell Court, Churchwell Avenue, Churchwell Drive 1-11

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, tomf

doreilly
Addicted
Addicted

Anyone had any leaks in their attic?

Postby doreilly » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi All,

Noticed some type of leak in the attic and it's visisble on the ceiling below with a mark in the ceiling a circle indicating a damp patch.

I was in the attic and it's where a vent is located on one of the beams. It's not a huge amount but the ceiling will need to be filled/painted over again.

Should I contact Shannon Homes on this and get them to sort it?

Cheers.

cands
Active User
Active User

Postby cands » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:16 am

we are still trying to get Shannon Homes to fix the problem with our attic that we complained about last April 08.

There is a pipe that should run from the extractor fan in the bathrooms to the roof to remove the steam, but in our case the pipe doesnt reach the roof, so the steam goes up the pipe and then turns into droplets and pours out onto the floor each time its used.

The ceiling is starting to stain so its looking like it may have to be repainted. I'm just hoping that there is no build up on water which may cause the beams to rot.

doreilly
Addicted
Addicted

Postby doreilly » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am

That sounds like the same problem we are having with the attic.

There were outstanding items that Shannon never completed for us after we got our keys. I faxed in numerours letters and had arguments with them on the phone. In the end I sent them a solicitors letter and I could not believe how quick they were out once they received the letter.

Might be no harm considering something similar for yourself if you are having no joy with them.

scared
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Postby scared » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:05 pm

ive just noticed the same in our ensuite.its only been hapeneing the last few days.i think since he really cold whether has set in.got my dad to climb up into the attic and he said the pipe is reaching all he way up but that the weather is so cold its turning he steam back to water prety much instantly.

ek
Active User
Active User

Postby ek » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Yep we are experiencing the very same, only started when the frosty weather started. I think the pipes may have to be lagged as they travel right through the attic to get outside.

cands
Active User
Active User

Postby cands » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Shannon Homes sent two men to the apartment today to sort out the ongoing issues re roof and leak etc.

The problem supposedly is that the condensation travels up the pipes, but when it gets to the top, due to cold weather it immediately turns to water and travels back down the pipe .... something like that.

The are returning to lag the pipes to stop the problem so hopefully this will sort the problem.

doreilly
Addicted
Addicted

Postby doreilly » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:01 am

Cheers.

Cands - Don't suppose it was Pat from Shannon Homes? If so, would you have his mobile number handy? Reason I ask is Shannon Homes are to send a painter out to sort out the ceiling and I lost his number and don't want going through the main office number. Thanks.

cands
Active User
Active User

Re: Anyone had any leaks in their attic?

Postby cands » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Eventually got the problem solved re leaking air vents in both bathrooms. Shannon Homes sent out their plumber from Larry Fay Plumbing and a special insulation was installed around all the pipes leading from the vents to the roof. Problem solved so far, the plumber said there wasn't any other problems reported to them, but thankfully its sorted.

Return to “Belmayne - Shannon Homes”