House boarded up

Addresses include Belmayne Park South, Churchwell Square, Churchwell Road, Churchwell Mews, Churchwell Close

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio

Dove
Has no life

Re: House boarded up

Post by Dove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Confused, I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid. I would presume that those home owners in Belmayne whom were affected by sound and insulation issues may have advice for you. Perhaps they will pm you as it does not seem to be discussed on this forum anymore. Alternatively, ring Kpm, they have a panel of companies that carry out site inspections. 100euro discount so costs roughly 250euro. We are in one of the Shannon Home properties and to date have had no issues and hopefully this will continue when we get some neighbours beside and over us!

tomf, thanks for the post. I have been following the threads on sound and insulation issues for over 3 years now. We bought in 2008 and were the last to buy here from SH. We have been concerned reading about the problems in some of the other homes in our developement. Although none of these were built by SH the fact is we bought a lovely 4 bed with an apartment over us and have been semi dreading the day someone moved in. Some of the noise posts I had read were horrendous. That is why I am glad there appear to be no such issues in St Samsons (same builder as us). Right now, SH is fitting out the apartment above us for rental. They have allowed me to view it and I had a chat with them about my concerns. I work nights and have not been disturbed at all while the refurbishing has been going on. I am cautiously confident we are not going to have any significant noise issues with our new neighbours. Their living room for example is over a spare bedroom and our living room is 2 floors below their master bedroom, so all in all I think we should be ok.

confused
Regular User
Regular User

Post by confused » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:57 am

Hi Dove,

Thanks for the reply. I will start making enquiries. Tried ringing Stanley Holdings but number just rings out. Also emailed Niall Manley, no response.Dave Linehan is not with KPM any longer. New guy is Will Healy. I am going to email him now re. site inspections.

Can anybody tell me how we are covered insurance/homebond wise. Personally I think homebond is a waste of time as seen with the pyrite in other developments.

Who is responsible, who do I go after if I have problems with sound/fire?

Again I am in Churchwell Square, Belmayne. Bought in 2008. Are they obliged to fix my problem if I can confirm through an engineer that there is a problem?

confused
Regular User
Regular User

Post by confused » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:15 am

Answer to my own question. In relation to Smoke/Fire/Sound.

It is the responsiblity of the builder aka Stanley Holdings! Doesn't matter when I bought. It is part of Building Regulations so they are liable forever. Gone to get my house tested.

Dove
Has no life

Post by Dove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:23 am

Let me know how you get on confused :)

confused
Regular User
Regular User

Post by confused » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:13 pm

gqma0 wrote:
homer wrote:Hi
Does anyone know why a corner house at the green is completely boarded up from the inside. I have heard rumours that the house is been tested for pyrite and another that the plaster board has been stripped to check for fire insulation. Anyone know what's really going on.

The house belongs to a friend of mine. Here are the facts.

1) No. The house isn't tested for pyrite and, as far as I know, they don't have any cracks in the wall.
2) Yes the plasterboard has been stripped off. The house was originally inspected by engineers for noise insulation and subsequently they exposed fire safety issues. As a result their property was condemned and they informed their solicitor, DOE and DCC, Stanley Holdings and KPM. They had to move out of the in July as they can’t get insurance now.

Now I understand ppl on the forum will reply with comments and I want to emphasize that I'm not generalising that the issue is the same in the rest of the estate but it's up to each individual to check with the management agent if their place is insured.

I spoke to the management company about this. They have a very different view. Do you know the person that owns this house? Is it a concrete or timber framed house?

eng
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by eng » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 pm

I spoke to a fire officer in DCC about this and they have a different view also. It wasn't the officer who inspected the boarded up property but he was aware of the property. He pretty much said that the owners must prove that the property fails to meet the Fire Regs. They are not going to get involved. As far as they are concerned there isn't a problem. Remember this is the same department of DCC who had no problem bringing the developer of Priory Hall to the High Court.

As for the property being condemned and the owners having to move out. Why haven't the people living above them or beside them been moved also? They would have the same issues regarding fire insulation. This simply doesn't make any sense.

Finally, before people start tearing off the plasterboard in their homes remember the plasterboard may be (and most probably is) part of the fire insulation system. Plasterboard itself doesn't have a fire rating but the systems which it is used in does, and plasterboard can be an important part of a fire insulation system.

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Nell » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:22 pm

We'll be told if there is something to worry about. The developers are not cowboys and are not going to let people live in dangerous buildings. We aren't dealing with Tom MacFeely here thank god. But as everyone likes to say on this forum 'only my opinion'!!!

Priory One
Trainee User
Trainee User

Post by Priory One » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:21 pm

I spoke to a fire officer in DCC about this and they have a different view also. It wasn't the officer who inspected the boarded up property but he was aware of the property. He pretty much said that the owners must prove that the property fails to meet the Fire Regs. They are not going to get involved. As far as they are concerned there isn't a problem. Remember this is the same department of DCC who had no problem bringing the developer of Priory Hall to the High Court.

Would this be the same DCC who are appealing against judge Kearns decision that DCC must pay accommodation and storage costs for ex Priory Hall residents? http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1208/prioryhall.html Trust me DCC couldnt give two hoots! The only reason they evacuated Priory Hall was because they were responsible for residents living in apartments which they purchased for social housing! They never uttered a word to owner occupiers until two years later when more serious issues came to light! Our government has a lot to answer for yet they've all gone underground in the hope that this will go away.. http://www.thejournal.ie/minister-for-e ... 4-Nov2011/

Insurance companies wont touch Priory Hall yet the banks and the government expect ex residents to move back back and continue paying mortgages and all will be forgotten.. Not a chance! If you have any concerns get yourself a recommended independent engineer.. Not one from DCC or a management company who only feed you what they want you to know! Also liaise with a good local TD such as Tommy Broughan. Our engineers have told us that Priory Hall is only the beginning of what is coming down the line.. Its a nationwide problem!

homer
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by homer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Just to get this straight this is the same dcc that certified priory hall as meeting fire regulations at the time of construction and the same dcc that decided it was not safe for there residents to stay in priory hall but were happy enough to allow the poor people that bought there property stay in the development. The same dcc that when the court decided it needed to be evcuated they tryed to abandon the people with no where to go and even went to court and asked that there responsibilty be removed. Only for the judge involved made them they would of happily left these people with no homes and mortages still to be paid.
This is not a trust worthy source of information as it is there negligence and lack of inspections on developers that have priory hall residents in the situation they are in now.
Neill why is that you are always so quick to defend the developer. Do you or did you work for them.

E.O.R
Active User
Active User

Post by E.O.R » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 am

I also spoke to DCC (Chief Fire Officer) about this. He sent me a report that they compiled after inspecting several proerties in Belmayne. They said they have no concerns about fire safety/building practices in Belmayne and are doing no further investigation.

When I asked how their report differed so much to the report done by FBI ireland

http://www.fbi-ireland.com/index.php?pa ... -co-dublin

this is the response I got:

In my view they are built to a good standard.

Fbi Ireland are of a different view and contends that construction is defective and has advised his Clients in this regard.

I think my report is fairly clear and that we are not looking into the matter anymore.

If you need any further comfort in relation to your property you should engage a chartered engineer or registered architect for another opinion

In my view, something stinks here!

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Nell » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Homer I only saw your post there. I could be offended but I just think it's funny that you think that I do or have worked for the developer. Afraid not my dear! I've been involved in this community since 2007 and have liased with local TDs, Councillors, Dublin City Council, KPM etc always used my influence for the best interests of the residents and will continue to do so.

confused
Regular User
Regular User

Post by confused » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:16 am

Could we not pm/email one another instead guys. All this is bullshit. At the min we all live in perfectly fine built homes which personally from what I've heard and read isn't gonna change. All this is hearsay whereas the printed reports from DCC is not. If you don't trust the builder then at least take some comfort in those reports done on the numerous houses around the devlopment and if not go and get an independent engineer. But eventually you are gonna have to trust someone. They are not gonna condem every house/apartment built during the boom in Dublin! And I am not sure if that house is actually condemned. Wouldn't the apartments above/beside it be condemned too?

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:40 am

To avoid double posting on the forum, I am locking this thread since the original request has been answered and the topic is changing to another subject. The subject in question is/has been discussed in another thread.