cracks appearing

Addresses include Belmayne Park South, Churchwell Square, Churchwell Road, Churchwell Mews, Churchwell Close

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio

pips
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

cracks appearing

Post by pips » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:38 pm

hello everyone

have a query. Hope someone can help. In each room of our apartment there seems to be large cracks appearing around the window sills. And the some cracks go right down to the floor behind the radiators. The cracks are also above the doors. Our place has been built for two years now would these still be settling cracks?
Cant wait to move in!

Regular User
Regular User

Re: cracks appearing

Post by member » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:53 pm

it is pretty normal. I have an 4/5 year old apartment too and still get cracks it all part of settling. No harm to put a call into the builder and ask them to look at it

Mews6391
Active User
Active User

Post by Mews6391 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick question - I'm in my house over 4 years now and in the past 6 months am having a serious issue with cracks appearing throughout the house.

I just had a Structural Engineer check out the house and he thinks there is serious movement and perhaps even subsidence!!! :shock: The architraving around the doors is separating and cracking above almost every door and there are gaps of up to 5mm in places!! The front and back doors are sticking every couple of weeks and are constantly having to be adjusted. The engineer is carrying out a full inspection next week, but things don't look good :(

Anyone else having trouble like this??

mcmahol
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by mcmahol » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:54 am

'
Last edited by mcmahol on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mews6391
Active User
Active User

Post by Mews6391 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:09 am

I beg your pardon McMahol, but I'm perfectly entitled to put up a post on this site regarding a genuine concern I have and requesting information from neighbours - I'm not talking about settling cracks, I'm talking about significant movement!!!!

Good for you that you haven't encountered this problem - but I have, and it is not "scaremongering" or making false claims - I have gaps of 5mm in my walls and cracked architraving around all the doors in the house. Maybe if it was happening in your house it would be okay to post about it?????

Cbuc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cbuc » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:54 am

Was a bit out of order telling mews to rethink putting this on a public forum. It is a public forum after all and the reason they posted is to find out if anyone else has issue with it and theres no harm in that at all. Some are lucky enough to have perfect places here in Belmayne, others are not.

There are many defects in houses, I may not have cracks in mine but I have one paper thin wall on one side (sepearting houses) and one nice sturdy wall on the other. Obviously someone was doing an half arsed job when building some of the places and its causing problems now for some residents.

Mews, I hope you can manage to get it sorted. I have been trying to get in touch with the builder myself but to no avail as of yet. I hope the cracks dont get worse for you.

mcmahol
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by mcmahol » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Of course you are entitled to post what you like but my opinion still stands. No if it was my house I would get to the root of the problem first. Then maybe when the official findings came back and showed serious problems I would consider maybe posting on a public forum. But probably not!!

belwoman
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by belwoman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Mews6391 can you PM me if you have anything further you want to add? I'm curious about why it all happens and would love to share our remedy information.

As someone who also had cracks in their house (.....and no I don't want to scaremonger or anything of the sort) I am reassured by this post. We had them checked and it was nothing major we just needed to re decorate the interior as the tapes that hold the plasterboard together can dry out a lot. This can give a cracking appearance. Our chartered surveyor agreed and while costly he was able to put our minds at rest that this was relatively normal interior settling and drying.

I think sharing is good!

chuffed
Addicted
Addicted

Post by chuffed » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:18 pm

Mews, if you could PM me too pls! I am having the same problem. I have cracks that don't look normal and same as you, I am too having to readjust doors on regular basis. can you let me know how you got on with th serveyor?

chuffed
Addicted
Addicted

Post by chuffed » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Anyone worried about cracks pls IM me today.

Thanks!

homer
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by homer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:40 pm

I am really starting to think the developers are posting on this forum. I am really not trying to upset or insult anyone but Mews is in titled to publish any fears, thoughts or findings they may have.
Please publish results of findings Mews so people can decide if they want to get an independent survey carried out on there property and possibly act in a group if required.

leon
Trainee User
Trainee User

Post by leon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

We're having trouble with a few doors in our house which have appeared to have dropped and are now
too "tight" for their frames. Can anyone advise me if they've been having the same problem and how they got it rectified?

confused
Regular User
Regular User

Post by confused » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:46 am

Has there been any developments on this issue? I have received pm's from a few neighbours in relation to the subject and now I am worried. Could anybody shed any more light on this?

PM's would be welcomed as I realise this is a sensitive issue.

Thanks

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Nell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:10 pm

I think you should contact the developer whom you bought the property from and discuss the matter with them offline explaining your concerns.

confused
Regular User
Regular User

Post by confused » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:25 pm

I don't trust the developer nor do I trust the management company I would rather discuss it with residents/neighbours who share the same issues. All be it privately (pm's) like I said above.