Hilton hotel 7pm 31st January

All residents association discussion

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio

grace
Regular User
Regular User

Hilton hotel 7pm 31st January

Post by grace » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Will the residents association for castlemoyne be in attendance next week. Do we have any agenda for the meetnig.

Fiona
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiona » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:44 pm

Hi Grace,

I live in Castlemoyne and I hope to be in attendance on the 31st, I really don't understand why we have a management company looking after us at all, we don't exactly get any real value for our money!!!

Fiona

grace
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grace » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Fiona
Neither do i. We have paid a portion of our management bill for landscaping etc are not paying for window cleaning, insurance, street lighting, road clamping etc we do not use or can avail of any of these services.

Can someome explain why we are being billed for ESB street lights. Is this not why we pay taxes? I am still annoyed buy the fact Keenans were able to deduct our bill by over E200 when they were confronted about the price increases. Roll on Thursday i will be looking for answers.

edmartina
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edmartina » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:03 pm

grace/fiona,

reason you pay for esb for street lights is beause you as a resident of the estate benefit from them being light up. Do you remember what it like recently when the fuse blew and there was no light in the estate - a thiefs dream!!

i understand your frustration with KPM - I am on the res committe and have been continually (in my own time) hassling them over the refitting of new locks to the gates and many other issues. They are quite reactive opposed to proactive in some areas however, they are a bit better than other management companies I have dealt with.

with regards to window cleaning, insurance, street lighting, road clamping - you do have access to all these as the windows are cleaned once per year, you are covered under block insurance for the estate and you can call the clampers if someone double parks you etc..

but ke you say roll on thursday as i am unsure i am happy about a few issues, namely Shannon homes being the directors of our management company and it is they who are cause of some of the fundamentla issues - fitting of dodgy locks, parking allocations etc etc[/b]

Steevo
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Steevo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 pm

edmartina wrote:grace/fiona,

namely Shannon homes being the directors of our management company and it is they who are cause of some of the fundamentla issues - fitting of dodgy locks, parking allocations etc etc[/b]

Is this not a conflict of interest between the management company and the builders and the residents???? ie management company are supposed to be working for/on behalf of the residents as far as I'm aware

grace
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grace » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks edmartina for your reply. We live in the 5 beds and get no window cleaning, never had block insurance in any other housing estate i have lived in why would i need it now?? road clamping no use to me we park in our driveway and unles some twat parks accross my drive clampers not much use to me and i would rather ask them to move in person than clamp them.

In relation to street lights i still cant understand why we pay for street lights when all other estates are lit by fingal county council??

Fiona
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiona » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:11 am

Grace,

I'm hearing ya!!!! We should not have a management company at all and that the fact that we do and we come under the same umberalla as townhouses and apartments is nuts! From looking at the accounts that KPM sent out the biggest expenses is the bill from KPM!!!! Roll on the AGM

Fiona

susand
Has no life

Post by susand » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:28 am

I don't know but perhaps Fingal County Council has not taken on the estate as yet. So that is why you would perhaps haveto pay for lights.

adrian.s
Active User
Active User

Post by adrian.s » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Folks,

Just a few points as an FYI, and note that I'm far from an advocate of KPM or any management company when I post this, it's just a few clarifications:

* When we all moved into Castlemoyne and St. Samsons, we signed legal contracts that said we'd be having a management company, we signed a master lease which laid out the rules of the road in the estate. Big thing to note here is the estate and all its running costs are our collective responsibility. Fingal Co. Co. do not, and will not take on the running costs of the estate. It will most likely take some form Ministerial action to get this changed so we can't be holding our breaths.

* The legal entity that all St. Samsons and Castlemoyne residents own is a management company, registered with the CRO as "BALGRIFFIN MANAGEMENT COMPANY LIMITED", headquartered for now in Shannon Home's head office in Lucan. Since they incorporated the company, they will typically have to put a director onto the board. Though I have seen with previous experience that as builders complete out an estate they will quickly seek to retire their director(s), and thus interest in our estate.

* Anybody in the estate can put forward their name to be a director of the company provided you meet certain constraints, but be careful about signing up to this position, you have a lot of legal obligations as a director!

* The AGM for our company, is taking place this Thursday, organized by a contractor that we pay, namely KPM. We pay them an annual fee and they typically look after sub-contracting out all the work, payment of the running costs of the estate etc. It's down to us as a community how much or how little we want to pay for the services provided, and that includes KPM.

With some of the background out of the way, let's try to have a productive AGM on Thursday. As a legal entity, we have obligations to do such things as approve the accounts and do our returns with the CRO so we'll need to make sure we tend to those matters. Then we can get onto the AOB section, and I reckon you will see this format being followed in the meeting.

So, I'd like to organize as many of us as possible to have something clear and concrete to raise at this meeting. For the record, I have 2 things I'd like to bring up at the meeting:

1 Who is on and what are the contact details of the residents committee. I only ever see some intermittent discussion on this bulletin board, which is pretty unacceptable. Everybody should be aware of who represents us and who to go to for any day to day matters. I believe there are 3 people from Castlemoyne on the RC, but I have never heard or received anything from them. We need to have a good working committee to make sure we get our moneys worth from KPM. I'm not saying those on our committee aren't doing any work now, it's just what they do is communicated out very well. We can't look at this bulletin board as been the official means of communication.
2 Budget transparency. One of the main points coming out from this thread is the confusion arising from a poorly broken out cost structure. I would like to see Castlemoyne broken out into its own budget so everybody sees where their money goes. So for example lighting expenses, gardening costs that would be applied directly to Castlemoyne etc. KPM should facilitate us in this request.

That's my 0.2c, looking forward to meeting with you on Thursday night. PM me if you need to reach me privately.

Adrian.

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Shee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 am

this is the email that Adrian sent around in relation to the agm tomorrow night.

Dear All,

Just a quick e-mail regarding the AGM on Thursday evening. I will be addressing the following points in the "Any other business section"

Commercial vehicles
Adding in the gate mechanism costs into the 08/09 budget
Satellite dish's
Landscaping
Bin-sheds and dumping
If anybody would like to discuss further issues, I would appreciate if you could contact me over the next two days with any feedback and I can add it to the agenda.

I have bought nice frames (only €5 per frame!) which will have a copy of the house rules and a fire evacuation procedure notice put into all the blocks over the next two days. I will also have a newsletter just or refuse/waste issues sent out in the coming days. We have some lights out in Castlemoyne at this moment and they will be fixed by the end of the week

pienie
Active User
Active User

AGM - 31st January

Post by pienie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:19 am

Hi, unfortunately I couldn't make the AGM yesterday evening. Can anyone inform me as to what was discussed? Thanks a mill!

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Management Committee

Post by tomf » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Hi

Unfortunately, due to business commitments, I missed the meeting.
However, I heard it was interesting if very poorly attended. I was told there was about 40 people at the meeting and some of those were couples. So, we estimated that only about 30 ''units'' were represented between the two estates of St Samson's and Castlemoyne.

I'm on the Management Committee and people can PM me. I believe we do have a responsibility to others to let it be know we are on the committee.
I'm in St Samson's - BTW!

Initial phases of any Management company are always problematic until the development is completed and the initial Directors give way to the elected committee.

However, people should really be very aware of their responsibilities of Directors ( anyone interested in the legal aspect of it, just let me know! and I can email some overview documents).

Basically, you are running a company with financial accountability and not getting paid for it. It takes dedication to do so.

I feel that currently our powers are very limited but, we do work well as a committee and DO get a lot accomplished.

Also, it is not a closed shop. Last year we co-opted two members onto the committee mid year.

If anyone was not at the meeting but is interested in being on the current committee then please let us know.

I would support releasing our names/email addresses in the next newsletter so people at least have a reference point for committee members for the coming year.

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty