UPC v Magnet

Anything and everything at all.

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator, tomf

fatherstack
Regular User
Regular User

UPC v Magnet

Postby fatherstack » Thu May 12, 2011 9:19 am

Just wondering if anyone on here has made the switch from Magnet to UPC???. Had someone call from the UPC the other night and they appear to be offering a fair bit more and less than the cost of the Magnet Bundle i.e much faster broadband,more channels and free weekend calls..

I have heard a few bad things about UPC re customer service so your views would be appreiated. cheers..

gqma0
Has no life

Re: UPC v Magnet

Postby gqma0 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:28 am

Hi fatherstack,

Just to give you my personal experience with UPC.

I have been a customer twice with them and gave them a 2nd chance since Magnet were not competitive at a time. However, the broadband was fantastic but I was looking at savings.

1st time customer 9yrs ago, I had many troubles with the TV box set and customer services. It took me lots of time and effort to cancel with them

2nd time customer 3yrs ago. At start, broadband was great and then it started to drop some of my calls while on the phone. The broadband speed then started to drop significantly and also the ping response time were bad. The TV box was rebooting in the middle of a program and the same issues with the customer service. Just to give you an example, I had to go through 2 ppl to cancel my subscription with them who asked me the same questions and then the last person who was trying to throw deals at me, after I had already switched back to Magnet, said that I had to write a letter of cancellation. Not only that, they don't bother contacting you about collecting the box and I received a txt stating that I had to contact them to arrange time for collection. When the man came to collect, I was registered for 2 TV boxes when I only had one and I received a letter afterwards stating that I still had a box. I cancelled last Dec and I only received my refund cheque for the remaining period 2 weeks ago.

I'm very technical and I've wasted enough time with their "technical level 1 services"

I'm done and dusted with UPC. Magnet is very reliable.

The only cons about Magnet is the TV box to boot up and the remote is extremely slow to switch channels but it seems reliable and doesn't interfere on the internet quality + since I'm back with Magnet, no more problems with my VOiP (blueface). I can say I'm a very happy Magnet customer.

I'm sure others will confirm the same ;-)

fatherstack
Regular User
Regular User

Postby fatherstack » Thu May 12, 2011 10:49 am

thanks a million for your reply. much appreciated

Alan
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Alan » Thu May 12, 2011 1:47 pm

We have had UPC for the past year or so, ran into problems quiet early on.
We originally just had the basic TV channels and the broadband, and after about a month decided to go for a package that included the phone and sky sports.

Rang them up to get this sorted. They said they would send out a phone, and as soon as I received it, I was to call back up so they could put me on this package that included the tv with sky sports and movies added on for an extra 10 euro, phone with free anytime calls and 20 Mb broadband. Phone didnt arrive for 4 weeks (after about 3 or 4 phone calls it was sorted, but apparantly, it was never organised to be sent out in the first place)

Anyway, I contacted them when I got the phone to go onto this package, and about a few weeks after that I got my Bill, which was alot more than I had expected, so I contacted them again. it turns out they billed me seperatly for each individual item (i.e. TV, Sky sports, movies, phone and broadband, priced individually instead of the package price)

trying to explain this to a customer support rep in UPC took 4 different phone calls over 4 months, and each one promised I would be credited with the difference onto the next bill. Finally happened after 4 months, even though it was abit less than it should of been, but I got so sick of talking to them that I just let it go, wasnt worth the hassle.

Anyway, a few months ago I rang up to get rid of the movies (as we never watch it) it worked out to be something like 20 euro more per month if we gave back the movies, which didnt make sense as at the time we signed up, the deal didnt include the movies, we opted to add this onto the package as it was only 10 euro extra per month.

Apart from all of that, the broadband is fairly decent speed wise, mind you the cable modem we got went through a stage of rebooting itself every now and again.

If you never have to contact them, then Im sure you will say they provide a good service, its only when you have to contact them and deal with their customer service that you realise how bad they are

Mons
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Mons » Tue May 31, 2011 3:58 pm

I was not home when UPc were calling with deals. Were they offering the €60 tv phone and internet deal or was it better than that. If it was better can you pm me the details. Many thanks

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

UPC v Magnet

Postby tomf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:04 am

Just to let everyone know that Sky is now available directly in St samsons. No satellite is required- any remains sats will be down shortly.
The whole estate is now wired and all you will need to do is call sky and they will wire u up. Usual charges apply.
However - it does get over the fact that Sats are banned and still allows u the choice of getting Sky without breaking the lease .
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

rebelfido
Addicted
Addicted

Postby rebelfido » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:59 pm

again more spammin y?????

Return to “General Discussion”