Belmayne/Balgriffin , all we need on our door step!

Anything and everything at all.

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator, tomf

fatherstack
Regular User
Regular User

Belmayne/Balgriffin , all we need on our door step!

Postby fatherstack » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 am

I think its no harm to start a thread for some of us to say that where we live has a lot going for it.

There has been a fair bit of negative press by the media and a couple of residents in particular who
make themselves available for interview to say that Belmayne is a ghost town and its devoid of facilities. We have
a Eurospar within a five mins walk, a 24hr tesco nearby , a cinema and gym literally on our doorstep, a National School
also within walking distance.. Im sure if you compare us to most developments we would compare very favourably
Fair enough we didnt get the town centre as promised but do we really need it?

Anyway for me Belmayne is a great place to live.

Dove
Has no life

Re: Belmayne/Balgriffin , all we need on our door step!

Postby Dove » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:44 am

I can't get over this ghost estate thing at all. I have Belmayne on my google alerts and every other day there is a news report with photos, and these photos 9 times out of 10 are the unbuilt Castlemoyne ones. I most certainly do not think this is a ghost estate, that is an entirely ridiculous notion. The place is full of life. And look at all those cars!
And I actually love living here. I love the location, my house, any neighbours I have met so far are lovely, the kids are great. Gerry the caretaker is great, would do anything for you!
I live in the Shannon Homes section and a good few of these remain unsold, but so what? Doesn't make any difference to me! Might be able to have a noisier party at new year eh :lol:
There are people out there in this country living in awful unfinished estates, but we are not those people.
We all have negative equity at this stage, no matter where we bought. I am just glad I bought here and not some developement in Portlaoise or similar.
We could not live in a better location and we have every amenity on our doorstep.
Everybody who bought in the last 7-8 years will have a degree of negative equity, a lot of those same people have lost jobs including this household. Things are very tough out there and it is a struggle. We just have to keep going and hope things pick up. I agree we don't need a town centre, I sometimes question the need for a chipper but hey its there and we have used it on occasion :) Anyway enough said I think you all get the jist! Go Belmayne :D :lol: :lol:

flick
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby flick » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Agree wholeheartedly....this is what my post on the Daily Show was about a few days ago. Think people need to take responsibility for how the estate is portrayed....it's not a ghost estate....it's an estate in a great location with good facilities on it's doorstep. OK so it happened to be in development when the recession hit and has had lots of obstacles to overcome as a result but it's definitely not a ghost estate and I was really not impressed with how it was sensationalised during the week....just my 2 cents worth....

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Nell » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Couldn't agree more. I for one am really sick so seeing the street I live on on Primetime and I hope people might think of the other people living here next time they invite RTE over. Thanks.

Eeeek
Regular User
Regular User

Postby Eeeek » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 am

Wholeheartedly agree!

I am sick of it too, I think that it's very inconsiderate of people to keep banging on about the state of the estate when in fact it's a lovely place to live with a great community. I am very happy with my decision to buy here.

tracy
New face
New face

Postby tracy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi,

Sorry but had to reply, because it is myself and my husband that you are speaking about. If you listen to the interview carefully on the Daily Show, you will hear my husbands reply when he was asked about living on a Ghost Estate, he said that the estate is finished, it isn't a ghost estate, there are some empty units, but we do have roads and lights etc. He mentions the town centre we were told we were getting alright, but also mentioned that we are happy where we are living. The Primtime programme was also about Negative Equity, not about Ghost Estates!!

We don't invite RTE in, they asked us to do the interview and we were told it was about the effect negative equity and job loss are having on young families. When they metioned that they were going to ask about a Ghost Estate, we told them that it doesn't apply to us, we were here to talk about our situation, not the estate!!!!!

I think people on this site can be extremely quick to criticise other people, when they air an opinion that they don't agree with, but yet claim to be great neighbours and all the rest. We aren't doing these things to irritate anyone, we have been doing this in the hopes that the politicians in this country might get a conscience and do something for people who are effected by negative equity and job loss, and who could possibly lose their houses!!! I too, love where I live and am therefore very sad that I may have to give my house up, but sure that might make you people happy, we'll be gone from the estate and you won't have to worry about us "portraying the estate in a negative way", we never aimed to do that, as I said, we are just telling our story in the hopes that people like us (and others who live in the estate) are helped in some way, with regards to their negative equity. Some of you may not mind paying a mortgage on a house that is worth half the price you paid for it, I certainly do, especially if my family end up homeless and I'm still paying a mortgage on a house I no longer have, while the builder is off living it up, while I pay his debts along with my own.

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Nell » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. We're obviously all in the same boat on the negative equity. I hope you can understand why other people would rather not have the development linked to "ghost estate" programmes etc Each time the estate has been on I have had to defend it when friends, family and colleagues have been passing comments about it the next day. I'd prefer if the estate wasn't featured again but that's just my opinion. Hope things work out for you and your family,

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:12 am

tracy wrote:Hi,

Sorry but had to reply, because it is myself and my husband that you are speaking about. If you listen to the interview carefully on the Daily Show, you will hear my husbands reply when he was asked about living on a Ghost Estate, he said that the estate is finished, it isn't a ghost estate, there are some empty units, but we do have roads and lights etc. He mentions the town centre we were told we were getting alright, but also mentioned that we are happy where we are living. The Primtime programme was also about Negative Equity, not about Ghost Estates!!

We don't invite RTE in, they asked us to do the interview and we were told it was about the effect negative equity and job loss are having on young families. When they metioned that they were going to ask about a Ghost Estate, we told them that it doesn't apply to us, we were here to talk about our situation, not the estate!!!!!

I think people on this site can be extremely quick to criticise other people, when they air an opinion that they don't agree with, but yet claim to be great neighbours and all the rest. We aren't doing these things to irritate anyone, we have been doing this in the hopes that the politicians in this country might get a conscience and do something for people who are effected by negative equity and job loss, and who could possibly lose their houses!!! I too, love where I live and am therefore very sad that I may have to give my house up, but sure that might make you people happy, we'll be gone from the estate and you won't have to worry about us "portraying the estate in a negative way", we never aimed to do that, as I said, we are just telling our story in the hopes that people like us (and others who live in the estate) are helped in some way, with regards to their negative equity. Some of you may not mind paying a mortgage on a house that is worth half the price you paid for it, I certainly do, especially if my family end up homeless and I'm still paying a mortgage on a house I no longer have, while the builder is off living it up, while I pay his debts along with my own.

Hi Tracy,

I've seen the RTE primetime programme too and I really feel sorry for your situation. I'll have a chat with the admin as I see a lot of negativity on the forum sometimes.

I think people should be more aware of the words they use when writing on the forum and think twice about the moral consequences it could have on others. I think Belmayne is a great estate and well maintained. There will always be people who will be jealous and will write up to trash newspapers. Some others feel the need to always complain and criticize. Somehow, I don't feel there's much community spirit at times when people need it.

I do what I can for St Samson's and Castlemoyne as a resident and also as a neighbour. That makes me feel good and positive and helps avoid dropping into depression. I arrived in Ireland 15 years ago and the place was much different from what it is now in terms of mind spirit. Too much talk and not a lot of actions. As you say people are quick to criticise and the situations are bad enough to add this to the lot.

So if there's anything I can do for you, as a neighbour, I will.
For the others, be more indulgent.

Gaetan

fatherstack
Regular User
Regular User

Postby fatherstack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Gaetan wrote

"I'll have a chat with the admin as I see a lot of negativity on the forum sometimes"

So are we not allowed say that we dont like seeing our estate being portayed in a negative
light throught the national media? Nobody wants to see a neighbour in a bad situation but
i can assure you that the recent exposure of Belmayne paints where we live in a bad light.
As residents surely we have a right to stand up for where we live!!!!

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:12 pm

fatherstack wrote:Gaetan wrote

"I'll have a chat with the admin as I see a lot of negativity on the forum sometimes"

So are we not allowed say that we dont like seeing our estate being portayed in a negative
light throught the national media? Nobody wants to see a neighbour in a bad situation but
i can assure you that the recent exposure of Belmayne paints where we live in a bad light.
As residents surely we have a right to stand up for where we live!!!!

No but some of the threads might be based on rumours and it sometimes develops into negative comments.
I wouldn't mind if some are based on real facts (ref. article in a newspaper)

As Tracy mentionned, her interview has been misinterpreted re. ghost estate.

flick
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby flick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:44 pm

If I was doing interviews on one topic and it was continuously "misinterpreted" as being about another topic I'd either stop doing the interviews or else ensure beforehand that what I intending to talk about was not going to be sensationalized and turned into something else!

I would also agree that we should be allowed to criticise and question the unfair press Belmayne has been getting....it's clearly a highly sensitive issue. The whole into on the Daily Show was about ghost estates.....and I do agree that the couple involved denied Belmayne was a ghost estate but to be honest the damage was done by the intro....

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Right,

I want to avoid confusion here. let's be clear.

One is talking about ghost estate and I believe tracy was talking about mortgage arrears. There could have been 2 different programmes on primetime but I haven't seen the one that mention Belmayne as a Ghost estate. It could have been another programme

The one I'm referring to is this one

Primetime RTE 1, 18th November 2010, On mortgage arrears and debt writedowns

I can not recall they mentionned Belmayne as a ghost estate.

fatherstack
Regular User
Regular User

Postby fatherstack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:16 pm

+1

If I was doing interviews on one topic and it was continuously "misinterpreted" as being about another topic I'd either stop doing the interviews or else ensure beforehand that what I intending to talk about was not going to be sensationalized and turned into something else!

Then we wouldnt have to listen to our workmates say "god where you live sounds terrible"

flick
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby flick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:28 pm

gqma0 wrote:Right,

I want to avoid confusion here. let's be clear.

One is talking about ghost estate and I believe tracy was talking about mortgage arrears. There could have been 2 different programmes on primetime but I haven't seen the one that mention Belmayne as a Ghost estate. It could have been another programme

The one I'm referring to is this one

Primetime RTE 1, 18th November 2010, On mortgage arrears and debt writedowns

I can not recall they mentionned Belmayne as a ghost estate.

Hi there,
There was another interview on the Daily Show (think the link is here somewhere) ....the whole intro was on how awful ghost estates are accompanied by several pics and footage of Belmayne. Totally sensationalized the "ghost estate" aspect of Belmayne (a label I feel is hugely inaccurate for where I live and what I experience every day, my image of a ghost estate is not Belmayne!) Anyway the intro gave the impression that the interview was going to be about ghost estates and I think that's what people feel a bit hard done by about. In fairness to the couple in question they denied Belmayne was a ghost estate but like I said before the damage was done at that stage....in my opinion.
Anyway that's all I was commenting on.....I didn't see Primetime....Like others I'm a bit tired of people getting the wrong impression about where I live....I'm going to be here for a long time!! It has nothing to do with criticising people in mortgage arrears or being indifferent towards house price drops or anything like that, we're all feeling the pain of these things, it's just about getting a fair and balanced portrayal of the estate in general....well for me anyway...personally, having watched the interview, I didn't feel that footage of the estate needed to be used or that ghost estates needed to be mentioned....just my opinion...

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Flick,

Here's the link
http://balgriffin.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1875

I'm running around Belmayne 2, 3 times a week and I don't consider it as a "ghost estate" and I totally agree with all of you
I'm not sure if this should be classified at diffamation in this context but you should challenge the newspapers about making such statement.

Going on maps.live.com, you can have a bird view of the estate from multiple angles and this doesn't look like a ghost estate at all.

Belmayne has been targeted following the famous controversial ads when launched along with the celebs show, so in this end, this is the one that ppl will always remember

Return to “General Discussion”