Food!

Anything and everything at all.

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator, tomf

Gerry
Addicted
Addicted

Food!

Postby Gerry » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Not sure if this has been covered anywhere else in the forum (i know we covered local take aways before), but I'd like to start a thread on the best places to buy food around Balgriffin and towns nearby.

I think we are really lucky in that we have lots of places nearby that sell quality food... we really don;t need to rely on crap from supermarkets (well most of the time!)

I have absolutely nothing to do with the food industry by the way (other than the fact that I eat a lot of it :D )

Other than the obvious local supermarkets where does everyone buy their food? I think we have a great selection of places to buy food locally or not too far away). My favs are:

Kish Fish (great fresh seafood) in Coolock ind estate (behind Lidl)
O'Mahony meats (coolock ind est)- Good prices on all meats- Have eaten the fillet steaks from here and they are really good
Smiths Butchers in Portmarnock-- Really, really good lamb and beef- also do some nice stuffed chickens and are very helpful if you are looking for a certain cut of meat.
Nickys in Howth- Right down the end of the east pier, small seafood shop, really good value and the fish is always really fresh
Veg- House on the hole in the wall road-- really fresh veg, a lot of local produce, very good value, usually cheaper than the supermarkets
Kinsealy garden centre- great selection of veg, very good value
Fresh/superquinn- good deli counters for cheese, cold meats... superquinn also great for bread.

Anybody got any other places they use? I'd love to know of a good baker around... basically if I can avoid going to a supermarket I will!

Now, time to get something to eat!

Dove
Has no life

Postby Dove » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Last edited by Dove on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackstudio
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Re: Food!

Postby blackstudio » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi Gerry And Dove,

I like this chat as i am also a big foodie! I love to cook and source good produce, I really like superquinn, i like the traceable meats and i buy organic when i can just because if im going to the bother of cooking and spending a lot of time on it i may as well eat the best! and there is only 2 of us!

I like superquinn in Sutton because i am from the area and i know where everything is so i can rip around and get things quite fast,

If i cant get something i tend to always find it in Fallon and Byrne in town, they have a great selection of meats, and wow the cheeses are really good,

I use beshoffs in howth for fresh and organic fish and they have good ingredients for cooking also.

In Howth there is a farmers market shop beside the church, they sell nice veg and meats and produce, they also stock Franks hot sauce! which i have been trying to source since tesco stopped stocking it, there is a whole 20 page discussion about franks hot sauce on boards.ie ! lol it is the bessst sauce for making buffalo wings which is now a saturday night occurrence in my house and my neighbours love me cause i often throw them a wing or two! lol

Yes i could talk about food all day HA HA

I never use Tesco for fresh produce because u find it doesnt last half as long as the veg from superquinn, for instance an iceberg lettuce will last me 2 weeks from Super but only a few days from Tesco.

I have tried to use the Kinseley garden centre but i like to do my main shop all at the one time and i find Superquinn the best really. but i might get into again.

So thats all for now...... good chat Gerry!
GOD REWARDS CONSIDERATE NEIGHBOURS WITH JELLY BEANS IN THE AFTER LIFE!!!

blackstudio
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby blackstudio » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:29 pm

Oooooo and I love jus de vine in portmarnok again it has won the award for best off license or something along those lines, but the wine they do is just the best, and very affordable, there is a red wine we always get with a little piece of twig on the front of the bottle, it is just delicious they call it twiggy! and there is a white wine called Macon Uchizy which is very nice and they sell it in a restaurant on Stephen's green for €56 a bottle- they tell you all these little details! lol both wines are 15 quid, and i love the experience of going in there. :D :D :D :D :D

Gerry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Gerry » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks for responses guys.
Yes Jus de Vine, is a really nice shop and they are very helpful, especially if you are looking for special bottle of wine.

And I definitely agree with you about SQ and their cheese... they really do have a great selection and its not that much more than a regular block of cheese to get something thats a little different.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 pm

This is a really good topic - well done Gerry.
I've been racking my brain and thinking of the places I shop and like.
I like Aldi over Lidl - no particular reason but I like the aldi speciality selections. Some of their cheeses are nice and really good value.
Have to say Fresh is also improving and they have the Franks Hot Pepper sauce for the Buffalo Wings. They do a reasonable selection of wines and have some very nice wines from Portugal. The off licence beside the Hilton tends to have good offers.
For great wine bargains go up to JC's Supermarket on the Ashbourne Road in Swords. Great bargains and you will always find wine there well below market price elsewhere.
You mentioned the Kinsealy veg market but also now, The Dublin Meat Co are also in situ.
For fish - yes, Howth is great and good bargains - whole salmon there last week for 10 Euro.
The bakery is the big thing - the problem, of course , is the fact it is just not viable for small bakeries any more - they cannot compete in many cases with Supermarkets.
Actually, I only go to Tesco in dire emergencies. Don't know - just never took to Tesco.
There is a good butchers in Donghamede SHopping Centre - been there a long time and does nice meat. THink it is Kerrigans.
Weekend market in Howth is good for bread - come to think of it.

All in all, we are lucky in the area. Great selection at good prices.

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

susand
Has no life

Postby susand » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:55 pm

Kerrigans is the butchers in Donaghmede. They have a great offers and now have a factory shop in Baldoyle as well. I have know these guys since they were working there as kids and have never once had a problem with them ( Not the daddy of course as ime not that old!!). Also there is always a good banter in there. Its great to see the interest in home cooked food again. From now on I will be hanging around the St sampsons end of the estates looking for Blackstudios wings that go flying around on a Saturday night lol..

blackstudio
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby blackstudio » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi All- Susan, Tom and Gerry!

Ha ha my wings! Il post the recipe up that i have, it might be a nice idea to swop a few recipes with other foodies, Tom i know you make a nice lamb tangine is it? And Gerry would you have any interesting recipes what do you like to cook? Heres my buffalo wing recipe, complete with homemade blue cheese sauce, oh yeaah!!

http://virginiafoodie.typepad.com/garde ... sauce.html

Im also making a lot of hummus of late so if anyone is interested in trying this recipe, its really good and on you tube which is easy to follow!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4uSf0d5 ... re=channel

Tom, which Portuguese wine is nice in Fresh, by the way the manager got in the tahini paste we asked him for that day! this is the magic ingredient for making hummus! I have that jar for ya i owe ya!

Have to say i dont use Tesco too much either, i like to buy organic meat and veg and find Tesco is not great for meat and veg,

The other day i went to Beshoffs in Howth, and bought a lovely piece of Seabass, they also sell organic produce, veg and good cooking produce,

they have a really nice bread selection there too, freshly baked loaves and the nicest brown bread i have ever tasted, i think they buy it in but worth checkin out. They also have good house wines.

Another good thing to know is what are people doing for christmas, I like to get my hands on an good organic Turkey, anyone have any suggestions? I have used Nolans and Superquinn before, I started a new thing from Nigella's cook book where you soak the Turkey in a massive tub for a day or two before in spices and a kind of brine, the Turkey turned out very moist il be doing that again!!

Any tips from anyone would be interesting to hear.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Gerry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Gerry » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:18 am

Thanks for all the responses guys-- yes we do have a lot of places around don't we!!

I have to say the deli in fresh has come on a lot... i got lots of olives and sun dried tomatoes there the other day, really tastey on pasta and the like!

I'd have to say at the moment I am really enjoying winter type food! I know the long evenings can be depressing, but a warm guinness and beef stew is just great the keep the cold out (accompanied by a few glasses of red wine of course!!)

The other great thing about this time of the year is the return of the sunday dinner! Its just not the same in the summer!

Slow roasted shoulder of lamb or lamb shanks with colcannon yum yum!

I forgot to mention there is an Italian restaurant in kilbarrick that sells bread Il Forno i think its called... the bread is a little pricey, but very tastey!

JCs gets my vote too tom... brilliant for wine... you can really get some great specials there coming up to christmas... save youself driving up north! I bought all my wine there last christmas it was great!

They also do good beer specials... have'nt been there in a while so must check it out again soon...

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Ah, a great topic.
I would urge everyone to go up to JC's and experience the madness.
Wine and beer at great prices and a real old fashioned supermarket.
If anyone likes really good food at reasonable prices then try eating in Andersons off Griffith Avenue. Great place to go for sandwiches; meat and fish platters; great pate and home made pasta. Oh, and deserts are great too.Only issue is they keep deli hours and close most days around 7. Saturday afternoon and Sundays are great.
If anyone is out for a drive on Saturday and heading down Wicklow Hills or Naas direction then take the pilgrimage to the restaurant in the Ballymore Inn in Ballymore Eustace - lunch is served until 3.00PM and is probably the best value in the country for great food ( 21.95 for 3 courses). It has won SO many awards. If you have/like kids go on a SUnday. If you think kids and restaurants don't mix well then , go on a Saturday. Lovely lovely food and a glorious wine selection with monthly wine specials at 16 Euro in the restaurant.
Rach - I have to see the selection of wines from Pottugal again, and I'll come back to you with names
Yup, tahini paste is important for hummus - nice to see Fresh taking our advice and stocking it.
The new artisan breads in Fresh are lovely - expensive but, as I eat about two slices a day - it goes a long way .
Rach - Kerrigans do free range turkeys and I'm sure the Dublin Meat Co up in Kinsealy would fix you up with Mr Turkey as well.
I mix three tagine recipies together and I must spend the time to write it down sometime - sorry Rach.

ah, food ..
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

scared
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Postby scared » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:26 pm

friend of mine texted me this morning saying theres a sign up at the clare hall roundabout saying there is goin to be a macari's take away and an italian restaurant opening soon in belmayne.must be at the back of p7

elizabeth1
New face
New face

Postby elizabeth1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:36 pm

My favorite food is beaf steak... How about you guys?

Return to “General Discussion”