Painter and Decorator

Addresses include Churchwell Court, Churchwell Avenue, Churchwell Drive 1-11

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, tomf

cands
Active User
Active User

Painter and Decorator

Postby cands » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Has anyone painted their Duplex since they moved in.

I'm wondering how much is would cost ro get in a professional ? Does anyone remember what was the paint colour used in Shannon Homes buildings.

I think is was violet white , just need to be sure before we start

Dove
Has no life

Postby Dove » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:45 am

Last edited by Dove on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Re: Painter and Decorator

Postby Nell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:25 pm

have to agree the quality of the paint is awful. my hall needs painting badly and Ive been here 2 yrs. I have a builder / handyman that I know I will ask him if he also does painting, think he does. Hes excellent and reasonably priced.

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:38 am

Must be a painting season.

We repainted our place for around 3 weeks (ceiling and walls). Bought the paint up North from B&Q but the prices have dropped here and it's actually cheaper to buy the paint from the local B&Q as they've applied the £1=€1.

I don't know the cost of a painting company but it's worth checking quotes from different painters.

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 am

- See how many walls you have and take note of the size.
- You can also get tester pots if you're not decided with the colour.
- If you're doing doors, you need undercoat paint in order to repaint them or else you can sand them slightly
- Do not put masking tape over paint as it will peel when you remove it

A 5l. pot would cover up to 64 sq. m. and it depends on your wall and the paint you use but you may require 2 coats.
We used Dulux white and other brands for colours. We got Dulux custom colour with another colour. More expensive but the result is fantastic.

As for up North, only B&Q applies that policy of 1 to 1. All I have in my house from flooring to fitted kitchen, from bed to sofa was bought up North but I've done it for the last 4 years. I give you another example. IKEA opened here and the only price difference between Belfast and here is the VAT rate, so if you buy furnitures worth up to €400, it's still worth going up there even with the petrol cost + you can still shop in Newry in Sainsbury, boots, etc... Medicines are much cheaper up there. Also B&Q is cheaper than Woodies since they dropped their prices. Best is to drop by some evening and take note of the prices of some brands in white, etc.. and compare.

Hope that helps.
Cheers

Gerry
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Gerry » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Guys

Yes the white used by Shannon is orchid white, i bought it a few months ago and touched up a few spots. Looks perfect.

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 am

Randwick wrote:Thanks so much. That really is a great help and thanks for taking the time out to post that. So you reckon I should still go north and get a shop in etc. Will defo go to B&Q anyway even if it is here and get and over 60's person to get if for me on a Thurs :D even better. God the more I look at the place the more I notice how bad the paint work is.

Only go up North for Furniture as the VAT rate is cheaper but don't go to B&Q for paint. It's cheaper here seriously. I'm not sure why.

doreilly
Addicted
Addicted

Postby doreilly » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:31 am

I had a leak a few months back in the attic and Shannon Homes sent out a painter to repair the ceiling.

While he was out I asked what colour the walls were done in. He recommended Fleetwood Matt Orchid White.

I reckon Shannon Homes only put 1 coat of paint when they were built on as the walls mark very easily.

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:08 am

Yes. Only one coat was applied as we could see in some areas the plasterboard.

Since it was built, the place moved so I refilled the cracks and reapplied silicone all around to stop the drafts.

Return to “Belmayne - Shannon Homes”