Magnet and Sky

Addresses include Churchwell Court, Churchwell Avenue, Churchwell Drive 1-11

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, tomf

Aud21
Active User
Active User

Magnet and Sky

Postby Aud21 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:38 am

Hiya. I know that this has been covered elsewhere but just can't find the answer.... We got Sky installed a couple of weeks ago and its working fine - we have to connected to Magnet Phonelines etc, but we have multi room and can't seem to connect the second box to the phone line - as it seems you can only use one phone line at a time. We could run a wire off the first one - but room is across the hall and so would have to hide wires etc... and so I am just wondering if anyone else has Multi Room Sky with Magnet and how did you work it. Thanks a mill.

Resident
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Resident » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi,

You only need the phone line connected once.

1. Bring the 2nd box down to where the 1st box is.

2. Take out the phone line from the 1st box and all the other wires and connect them to the 2nd box.

3. Turn on the 2nd box and do the config thing til its working.

4. Bring the 2nd box to the other room and connect all the cables and it should be fine.

I have only had to connect my phone line once since the box was installed. It hasnt been connected now for about 4 months and never asks for it. Only reason you need it is to prove you are in that house you say you are and when ordering Box Office (which we never do).

Hope that helps

:)

Aud21
Active User
Active User

Postby Aud21 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks a mill. Will do that this evening. A

susand
Has no life

Magnet have finally driven me mad!!

Postby susand » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:58 pm

Dear All

I have tried o boy how I have tried but guess what. They sent me another letter yesterday with arrears. If you can remember I had a hell of a time with them earlier this year. Thought problem was solved but hey presto here they are back again with the direct debit and not collected for the time last year once again. Rant over!!!

Can I ask for your help. Which is the quickest and most cost effective way to get in Telephone/ Broadband connection and TV what packages have you concluded in being the best value for money. Look forward to hearing from you

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

TV Internet phone

Postby tomf » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 pm

HI Susand, this is covered in many places on the forum but, just to recap

Magnet is good for Internet and phone but not as good as NTL for TV.

Magnet have tried to scam people in the past while by discretely ( without telling us) reducing the upload speed from the 2M we all signed up for to something between 256K and 1M upload. This has really hacked me off personally and I had a good old fashioned arguement with them last week on it.
You can check on www.speedtest.ie - just run the simple test.
So, maybe the most optimum package right now might be NTL/UPC for internet and TV and then I would try www.blueface.ie for VOIP phone service.

Now, if you alread have SAT dish then maybe just Magnet for Internet and phone. Really depends what you have there currently.

Hope that helps a little

Tom
Last edited by tomf on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

gqma0
Has no life

Off Magnet too

Postby gqma0 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Susand.

Indeed, Magnet don't seem to keep their customers, so I'm switching over to NTL/UPC for the internet.

I have 2Mbps package internet + Phone but stopped using their phone service 1yr ago after too many issues and I use Blueface (VOiP) now. Very Happy with Blueface service and it saves me a lot.

Magnet's package costs me €39/mth whereas UPC package is €40/mth for 20Mbps

Also I have NTL for TV.

Cheers.
Gaetan

susand
Has no life

Postby susand » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 am

Thats great I feel a sense of where I am going now. Thanks so much for your help.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Switch to UPC

Postby tomf » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:12 pm

G man

Will the magnet ATA work with blueface?.

What is the extra cost to switch to UPC/Blueface - maybe only the price of an ATA?

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

gqma0
Has no life

Blueface

Postby gqma0 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:03 pm

I'm not sure the Magnet ATA would work as you have to define the SIP settings for Blueface.

I use a wireless router with VOiP and a few DECT phones. I have 3 phones in the house with a wireless headset (as I work from home from time to time)

Checkout the hardware
http://www.blueface.ie/shop/shop.aspx?products=hardware

As for the cost, check it out the call plans
http://www.blueface.ie/shop/shop.aspx?products=plans

I'm on freedom world which is great. 1 year with them and not a bother. I can also travel with my phone number anywhere I have a wireless acess

Cheeers.

Return to “Belmayne - Shannon Homes”