Fire safety in Belmayne

Addresses include Belmayne Park South, Churchwell Square, Churchwell Road, Churchwell Mews, Churchwell Close

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio

E.O.R
Active User
Active User

Fire safety in Belmayne

Post by E.O.R » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:25 pm

has anybody seen this?

http://www.fbi-ireland.com/index.php?pa ... -co-dublin

Also, on Joe duffy today there was a discussion about Priory hall, and people being told to leave because the building hasnt passed fire regulations.

A lot of people called in (mainly from the building trade) and were saying that Belmayne may have similar or worse problems as the buildings in Belmayne are timber frame.

JoanneIRL
Trainee User
Trainee User

Re: Fire safety in Belmayne

Post by JoanneIRL » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:50 am

This Joe Duffy programme can be replayed on the following links.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/ and its under "Liveline Podcast - poor building standards"

Worth a listen

belwoman
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by belwoman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 am

I've listened and looked and this is all supposition. I refuse to worry on this basis alone.

E.O.R
Active User
Active User

Post by E.O.R » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm

I'd hardly call the Fire Building Inspectors of Ireland report supposition...pictures of heating pipes going through timber frame, charred and black.. amongst many other departures from safe building practices

belman
New face
New face

Post by belman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Fire & Building Inspectors Association of Ireland is a private company - from the website 'The F.B.I.A.I was founded in 2004 by Mr Noel C. Manning (Structural Fire Engineer / Fire Researcher and Lecturer)...' There's also a link on the site to Noel's proper business - Firebar. This is a company trying to 'scare'/encourage people into buying their products. It is not a government org, and it is not part of the fire service (who would be responsible for building inspections). I think before we all start jumping on this due to recent news events we should look at the facts - I'm sure the developers have the appropriate fire certificates for the development.

Each to their own, but based on this website as evidence I wouldn't go making decisions.

belwoman
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by belwoman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi,
I don't think I need to remind anyone that this is a forum and I am perfectly entitled to respond with my opinion based on the post you made. I would rather base my level of worry on facts and actual reports and a few not photographs with no dates or reference information and vague references to compliance rather than the current legally binding regulations.

It is supposition and they are referred to as examples..not proof. If you want to worry and put extra fire proofing in your own home then fine.
Bel

Nell
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Nell » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Agree with Belwoman. Media really love focusing negativity on Belmayne as it's a poster child for Celtic tiger. Yer man on Joe Duffy is out to scare people into buying his products. Shame on him and RTE for allowing someone to make accusations when theres no proof and to cause more negative attention on our development.

chuffed
Addicted
Addicted

Post by chuffed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:12 pm

What really annoyed me about that show on Friday is that the host was dying to criticise the development.
He kept trying to make this state look really bad with statements like 'it is very isolated' and 'there is nothing out there and it far out' and forcing the guest to agree with his unfounded and ridiculous statements.
He must not even know the development making statements like that.
To me he lost all credibility as his Objective was clearly to trash any Celtic Tiger state.

I am also a little confussed with the statements made by the guest about not being able to insure the property...aren't apartments automatically insured via maintenance fee?

chuffed
Addicted
Addicted

Post by chuffed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Has everyone received the letter from Stanley Holdings? Very reasuring! :-)

fasteddie
Has no life

Post by fasteddie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:34 pm

chuffed wrote:Has everyone received the letter from Stanley Holdings? Very reasuring! :-)

When? What it say?
Ive a horse outside!!

chuffed
Addicted
Addicted

Post by chuffed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Got a letter from Stanley Holdings guaranteeing that these are false accusations. That a recent inspection was done in June by the fire brigade and City Council and all was passed with no further recommendations.
They have legal proceedings against this person

fasteddie
Has no life

Post by fasteddie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Ah good stuff, So thats the issue put to bed
Ive a horse outside!!

Walrus
New face
New face

Post by Walrus » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:09 pm

This guy is a chancer. His website has a lot of writing about nothing (even the grammer is bad). If you notice the first few photos of the "apartment" from Belmayne are from google maps. If you were taking photos of inside surely you'd take some outside as well? He's probably never even been here. Its easy to lift a few photos from other sites and put what you like on them. Next he'll be getting a photo of an office block on fire and telling us that all high rise buildings are not safe. The whole development would not have got planning permission to build if timber frame houses were not deemed safe enough. Cowboys Ted ... Cowboys!

micheal
Active User
Active User

Post by micheal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 pm

I agree that Belmayne is a poster child for these bad times, also the bad press the area has received has been a bit ridiculous and out of context at times.

However there are huge issues with certain properties in the development. They have come up because of research that has been carried out trying to resolve the sound insulation problem that is well documented on this forum. This issue is ongoing but residents have tried to keep it from the public but it will come out on the back of the latest scandal.

As far as I know there has been a few independent reports done on homes that have cited concerns over fire regulations.
I have been waiting since February for the second phase of remedial work to be done to my home in an attempt to fix the sound problem. I have been promised this by Stanley Holdings. The reason this has stalled are the fire safety issues other residents have (I'm next on the list).

In the four years I have lived here the only problem that I really have had is with the developers. The area is thriving. The lack of a town center doesn't bother me as we are close to so much.

On the subject of the developers, in my opinion they are just bullies. I have been treated like an idiot. They always threaten going legal. They have Dublin County Council in their pockets (not necessarily the councilors). They have also kept residents with the same issues apart and continue to tell new buyers that there is no sound issue.

I have four years of hassle that might become a "How not to do it manual" at some stage.

belwoman
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by belwoman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Ok last post on subject because I'm starting to get pretty annoyed now ;). This is a forum folks but it's a waste of time when people don't want to even listen to each other.
And just because someone points out an obvious conflict of interest is no reason to accuse them of sounding like the developers. As Belman said "each to their own".