All residents association discussion

Moderators: gqma0, blackstudio, tomf

blackstudio
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Castlemoyne and St Samsons AGM

Postby blackstudio » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:35 pm

Hello neighbours,

Just to share some news that our Annual General Meeting will be taking place in APR/MAY
The date will be confirmed with all residents from the management company via post, look out for it.

We urge all residents to attend the meeting and become aware of the ongoing issues as well as voicing any of your own.

I thought the forum here might be a good opportunity to explore any issues residents have,
The residents committee have some concerns around How KPM are managing Balgriffin Management Company because our finances are not in the best of shape.

The fees may be going up this year because we are heavily in debt from residents not paying management fees, and we have to make up the deficit,

There are many reasons why residents are not paying and some people feel there are things they signed for in the lease which has not happened which can be brought to the committee and voiced fairly and brought to the management company, we are a committee to represent residents so there is nothing and no resident we will not listen to.

Recently i heard that some Castlemoyne residents are worried about a dangerous bend where children are at risk, also some neighbours are expressing there is no good signage in place for the estate, also the unfinished building site in castlemoyne is an eyesore and neighbours are complaining, this is an example of some of the concerns residents have.

If anyone would not like to express their opinion openly i can be reached at

secretary@balgriffin.com

Regards,

Rachel Egan
GOD REWARDS CONSIDERATE NEIGHBOURS WITH JELLY BEANS IN THE AFTER LIFE!!!

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Re: Castlemoyne and St Samsons AGM

Postby Shee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:01 pm

I received the details regarding the upcoming AGM on May 13th in the Hilton Hotel. I won't be able to attend but just wondering do you want me to fill out the proxy form and nominate someone to vote in my absence ???

blackstudio
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby blackstudio » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Shee,

Yes i would encourage residents to fill out those forms and hand them to the nearest residents committee member if you cannot attend the AGM.

Please PM me if you would like my address to post the form into, i live in the court btw, i can get an address in the square also and,

If anyone is in Castlemoyne would like a contact address also to post in these forms PM moi and i will give you one.

The residents committee have recently been working closely with KPM to try and address the financial issues that we have, They have been instructed by the committee to start legal proceedings against any residents who are refusing to pay fees, so there will be a stricter policy in place to get fees in, it is not fair on the rest of the residents who are paying to have to carry other people through while still benefitting from the services, and if fees go up this year it is because we are in so much debt from non payment of fees, we simply cannot sustain any more debt, it is now a crisis we are in.

Again if any resident has any issue over why they are not paying fees please contact the residents committee because we can get these issues sorted out,

The residents committee will be issuing a newsletter soon outlining the progress we have made in the last few months,

and also to update residents for our AGM on Wed 13th of May,

Keep the eyes peeled for it!!

Thank you,

Rachel.

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:37 pm

It says on the form to return it to Ronan in KPM. Just wondering whose name to put on the form.

blackstudio
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby blackstudio » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:32 pm

I think you should put someone on the residents committee's name on it because it may mean your giving your vote to Ronan, I have to double check with the rest of the committee on this but we made need your vote if we decide to vote in some resident directors at the AGM, i will clarify this by tomorrow, would that be ok,

Rachel.

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:14 am

yeah thats ok. It says to return to Ronan 48 hours prior to AGM so there's no rush

blackstudio
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby blackstudio » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 am

Great, as we made need time to canvas for these votes,

We are having a meeting with KPM this thursday so we will know more after then if we will be appointing any resident directors!

I will update then and thanks for raising the question.

Rachel.

adrian.s
Active User
Active User

Postby adrian.s » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi Rachel,

It's good to see that the RC have been active on this in the background. I read the accounts and saw the only concern was that expenditure exceeded revenue and we should consider increasing the fees. I looked at the service charges owing and was surprised it would more than cover the deficits.

To prevent the AGM from breaking down into chaos on the night, I'd hope the RC would be able to circulate any additional information they have in advance of the meeting. I'd be afraid that we could spend the night arguing about budgets, parking etc, where what we really want to achieve is some unity in advance so we can get the company structured better along the needs of the residents. A plan could then be put together to sort out theses issues, probably focusing on debt first. Irrespective of the issues people have, it's still money that they owe, and nothing can be achieved by the company if it doesn't have the cash to pay for the services it has to provide.

I see from the agenda that the directors are up for election / re-election. Does this mean we could potentially nominate people that live here to also become directors? It would be great if the board were to have a few directors that were able to take a more proactive approach in dealing with the managing agent, setting up policies for a cleaner running of the estate etc. Having been involved in another managed estate that was in a similar situation to us, the arrival of a real hands on director completely turned matters around. But it wasn't without problems though, as a director, your obligation has to be to the company and that it is kept running on a sound and solvent basis. It meant some painful things had to be done to those withholding their payments for one reason or the other, but great progress was then made on many other fronts as the company then had the cash to fulfil its obligations.

Best,
Adrian.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby tomf » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Adrian

Many thanks for your comments.

Just to clarify a couple of things, maybe not for yourself, but more for people reading the forum.
First of all, the residents association are indeed very active currently. The Managing agent - KPM- in this instance- and the residents association do meet on a regular basis. I know of no instance in the past three years where KPM have said to us they cannot do what we ask without KPM referring back to the current Directors.
Resident Directors can be nominated and elected and it is our intention to do so. However, this is more from point of view of legalising the position of the Residents Association with Resident Directors onboard, rather than any belief the runing of the estate may somehow change. In effect, current, KPM defer to the Residents Association as the de-facto Directors. This does have legal implications ( Shadow Directors ; RIght to see accounts and many more) . This is the reason we need Resident directors.
The estate could be run very efficiently if owners paid their arrears. We, as Residents Committee, have already addressed many cost cutting areas over the past two year, in particular. The simple fact is - it costs what it does to provide a good service.
Our lease is, in fact, very good as, it does separate the service charges into the various types of units. In other words - Castlemoyne do not pay for the Samson's internal common areas or group insurance as does seem to be happening in many new developments - Clongriffin for example where townhouses are paying service charges for the lifts in the apartment blocks.

In relation to the subject of the service charges. Unfortunately, owners can discuss the fees but have no rights to change them. Fees are set by the Management Company in association with the managing Agent and the Management Company, acting for the owners, decides on the fees in order to provide for adequate service under it's remit. However,of course, like any company, the Management company here would be foolish not to listen to it's members at an AGM. However, at the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the Directors/ Officers of the Management Company to make it's decisions based on their own view as to the best interest of the company.

Just a final item - remember, the accounts of the Management Company are approved by the Directors and only ''laid before'' the members at the AGM. Unfortunately, under company law, there is no provision for members rejecting the accounts. Be interesting to see if a change ever comes to Company Law to take account ( sorry !!) of the possibility.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shee » Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 pm

[quote="Shee"]I received the details regarding the upcoming AGM on May 13th in the Hilton Hotel. I won't be able to attend but just wondering do you want me to fill out the proxy form and nominate someone to vote in my absence ???[/quote]

Any updates on this item. Whose name will I put down on the form. I'm away from Monday so would like for someone to use my vote wisely.

gqma0
Has no life

Postby gqma0 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:33 am

Put one of the residents comittee member, Either Rachel Egan or Gaetan Meister

Thanks a mil.
G

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Postby Shee » Fri May 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Thats great, Gaetan - I'll put your name on in , found the piece of paper today, so I'll post it in the morning, Thanks

If anyone else is thinking of voting by Proxy, the form has to be in KPM by Monday 7pm deadline, 48 hours before AGM

Return to “Residents Association”