Useful Information and Links

Discussion of suppliers of kitchens etc., Magnet, NTL, Sky etc. and reviews of each. Here be the place for them

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator

Administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Useful Information and Links

Post by Administrator » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:24 pm

Magnet Networks:
http://www.magnetnetworks.com/
International Exchange Centre, Clonshaugh Industrial EstateDublin 17, Ireland Tel. 867 3690 Fax. 867 3692
e-mail: info@magnetnetworks.ie Contact: Philip Clapperton Tel: 4366-616 Mob: 086-836-4623 or Frank Monaghan Mob: 086-813-2008

EsatBT:
http://www.esatbt.com

NTL
http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/index.html

grace
Regular User
Regular User

Can anyone explain what magnet do??

Post by grace » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:00 pm

Can anyone tell me what is it that magnet do? Is it like NTL? Do they connect phone lines, tv cable and is the movie on demand facility in the brochure. Excuse my ignorance.

Shee
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Shee » Wed May 31, 2006 10:46 pm

just wondering has anyone shopped around for the prices of

NTL/MAGNET/SKY

There's enough fliers coming through my letter box already but they don't really update price wise

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:25 am

Hi Shee,

I've been looking around between the providers depending on what you want and the usage you make of it

NTL offers 6Mb broadband for 39.99/mth with the 1st 3 mth free and free connection. The advantage is that you don't get line rental. Also, you can get the basic TV package for ~ €19/mth

Magnet offers 8Mb broadband with TV and phone (free local and national for 60mn) for €34 per month for 1st two months. €59 per month thereafter
The advantage is that you get one provider for all the services. The disadvantage is that you now pay line rental at €24/mth. Also There seems to be issue with the channels freezing

Since line rental is now included in Magnet where it didn't use to last year, I decided to go with NTL and I will use Blueface for the phone (VoIP). I like to keep control of my bills and I've read there are some issues with Magnet from the Beaupark forum. Blueface offers competitive prices for the phone and calling my family in France is a little cheaper than Skype.

I don't know about SKY but I've read that Magnet had some approval issues to broadcast the programmes

As for Satellite dishes, read that thread if you're concerned about permissions

http://beaupark.com/viewtopic.php?t=119 ... 5056ccf025

Just got off the phone to Dublin City Council's planning department. The regulations in regard to sattelite dishes goes a little something like this...
Sattelite dishes can be erected to the rear of the house, below a height of 6 metres, diamater of the dish has to be less than 1 metre and only dish is allowed. Dishes are not permitted on the front exterior wall or the front slope of the roof.
So if you own the house, there's nothing the "management" company can do about it. Don't know what the deal is with apartments though, sorry. Actually, the more I think of it, and no disrespect to magnet, but the "management" company is probably getting a percentage of all the magnet connections in the development, so don't worry about what they say.

BTW, NTL connections in the houses are all ready and you can receive the basic channels straight away once you plug the TV

Hope that helps.
Regards

Delilah
Addicted
Addicted

Magnet

Post by Delilah » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:34 am

Hi Shane

Thanks for the link - I have spent some time reading what Beauparc residents have to say and it sounds BAD, BAD, BAD. I am disappointed to be honest because I am not a fan of NTL - screen freezing and multiple billing problems and although I think Sky is probably the best provider the dish and no broad band are a pain.

Has any one in the court signed up to Magnet??

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:39 am

Hi Delilah,

The guy who installed our alarm said that some ppl in the court signed with Magnet.

Gaetan

adrian.s
Active User
Active User

Post by adrian.s » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:26 am

Howdy,

I'm in Castlemoyne and signed up for Magnet's intro offer of €120 for 6 mths broadband, tv (phone calls charged extra but I don't use it at all). It's not on the website, I got cold called about and I know foks in Beaupark got offered it as well.

The broadband is terrific. TV quality is fine, no freezes, but the EPG is a complete waste of time, either showing incorrect program names or "Unknown". For regular viewing it's fine though. I don't use them for the phone, went with Blueface for that.

I'm not sure what I'll do once the 6 months are up, I'm certainly not going back to that archaic model of line rental. But the way I see it is they need my business more than I need them (good to have NTL) so I feel an argument coming on. :D

As regards getting Sky from Magnet, well you can do it. But it's mad expensive as Magnet cannot guarantee that the Sky service can be restricted to just one room so you pay multi-room charges.

HTH
Adrian.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

This is my own personal experience with Magnet

Post by tomf » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:15 am

I called Magnet two weeks ago, well ahead of me moving in to St Samsons.
As the call centre do NOT handle the FTTH service, I was told that a regional/ area sales manager would call me to discuss my requirements.

Of course, this never happened.

Now, having rushed around like a headless chicken for the past two weeks to close on the apartment, I called again yesterday to the Magnet office.

The 1890-53-53-53 number gets through to a person quickly - no problems there. However, each time I call I get through to customer service and they tell me ''oh, you need sales, let me transfer you''.
Also, dialling the main number of 867 3690 ( the number given out by Directory enquiries) diverts straight to voicemail ( I called it 6 times).

So, called again this morning; got though to sales ( after put through by CS) and explained my problem and the sales guy said '' I will get someone to call you within 48 hours''. This is hardly good enough since I explained to him my previous history.

Also, about an hour later I tried to be a little more pro-active and I called again and said ''I cannot wait for people to call me back, could they possibly give me the name and mobile number of the Area manager and I'd call him directly''. The person at the other end of the phone told me he was new and did not know the area manager for North Dublin ( I would have thought a piece of paper with peoples names on it would be a low tech solution to that problem). However, he committed to check it out for me and come back to me this morning. I wait for the call.

So, Magnet have a ready and willing client who knows precisely what he wants; in an apartment that is already wired, and I can't get anyone to take my order.

Hardly inspires confidence that the service is going to be great.

Anyway, just a little story on my experience with the good people in Magnet.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

gqma0
Has no life

Magnet

Post by gqma0 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:27 am

Hi Tomf,

Welcome to the club.

It took nearly 2 weeks for an engineer (so called) to come and install the modem and the phone. The basic package at 2MB for €15 includes a wireless modem according to the brochure but it's not. the sales guy says that's exactly what's witten on the tin and the ppl on the phone are not too sure.

Well, the engineer was supposed to confirm that with a callback but he never did. In fact, the FTTH equipped house don't get this wireless modem because it's fully wired but not all points are connected.

Anyway, Magnet seems to have issues with billing and quality service with their Beaupark customers. I had it for nearly 6 weeks and haven't received any bills yet. Also, their site to check the allowance usage isn't working and I got a call last week from them as someone's coming to upgrade my box.

Good luck
Cheers

gqma0
Has no life

Magnet contacts

Post by gqma0 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:30 am

Forgot to mention

Here are the sales contacts I dealt with

Deirdre Connolly [mailto:dconnolly@magnet.ie]
Michael Hegarty [mailto:mhegarty@magnet.ie]

they'll reply to you quickly. I think Deirdre is one of the sales manager looking after Castlemoyne and St Samson's

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

The Saga Continues

Post by tomf » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:19 pm

Hi

Lo and behold. Finally got signed up to Magnet. THeir sales guy called to home this evening and I signed up for the 39 Euro basic service of 2MB Internet and phone.
The installation is free.

So, as most know, the 39 Euro service is really 15 Euro + 24 Euro for line rental.

So, having posted a lot on Magnet I asked the guy why the 24 Euro.

So, reading between the lines I think I have the answer.

It goes to the structure of the company.
Magnet now have 2 divisions -- infrasctucture ( the cable guys) and then the services ( Internet; phone and TV).

Ken peterson who owns the company is getting 24 Euro for the infrastructure and the 15 Euro goes to the services division.

Basically, they are recouping the cost of laying the cables and providing all the routers and infrastructure through the so called line rental.

It is really not ''line rental'' at all -- jsut a handy term people understand.

So, on my own setup - I will be doing the following:

1) Internet with Magnet - I get a phone number with this and I'll use this as my home phone.
2) Once I have the Internet, I will port my existing number across to Blueface and sign up with them for my business phone service.
3) Finally, NTL for TV.

This is a real pain in the ass but, the Magnet phone service is too expensive and also, their TV service is poor.
NTL is not great but, slightly better.

Sorry for long ramble.

Tom

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

My Magnet saga

Post by tomf » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:38 pm

Hi

Just to keep people updated on Magnet.

Got the guy out to install the service last Thursday.

Duh, sorry, could not test it as the line engineer had not connected up the distribution box to service a few apartments.

More phone calls and eventually, the guys came out today. So, two Magnet Vans and three guys decended.
Oh, Shannon Homes had not supplied power to the distribution box as the three of them stared at the box. we have to wait for Shannon electrician to come along.
I politely suggested to them to get an extension lead and plug in the distribution box so they could, since the three of them were there, test the service and ensure there was nothing else wrong. Nah, too much like common sense.

They waited an hour for the electrician and then they were gone - vanished.

Electrician came - supplied power, plugged in the distribution box and, you guessed it, nothing works.

I have never seen such amateur hour in my life and no wonder we are being fleeced by Magnet if they cannot even read a work order.

So, no Internet and no phone.

The saga continues.....

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Magnet --end of saga

Post by tomf » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:48 am

Hi

So, yesterday I finally got my internet and phone service.

The project manager from Magnet's installing company ( forget the name) came along and had all fixed in 10 minutes.

Just wondering why it took so long to fix and if he could fix it in 10 why did it take others a week.

Oh, they blamed Shannon Homes electricians for everything.

So, Internet is fine.

I went for the 39 Euro offer of 2M Internet and phone.
I don't ned the phone and think a 2m service for 39Euro is very expensive. However, I do need the 2M upload speed and this is why I would not use BT or NTL ( whenever they get around to it).

Now, just about to checkout Blueface for their service.

Ciao

Tom