Anyone gone with Sky for their tv?

Discussion of suppliers of kitchens etc., Magnet, NTL, Sky etc. and reviews of each. Here be the place for them

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator

gqma0
Has no life

A few dishes in the court

Post by gqma0 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:34 am

Hi Shane,

There are a few houses in the court who have dishes setup towards Astra

Regarding using Sky+ and the phone, you'd need to ask Magnet to provide you with an adaptor for each digibox to plug in. They usually give them away and don't charge for them.

There was a choice of either getting the phone from Magnet or getting an adapter to plug your own DECT phone.

Cheers.
G.

gqma0
Has no life

Magnet entertainment starter

Post by gqma0 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:45 am

As for Magnet's broadband starter, they don't enforce the 10GB monthly allowance (went over 15 times over the allowance the 1st 2 month).

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

SKy

Post by tomf » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:55 pm

Shane,

I have NTL and magnet.

Let me know how you get on with Sky and how much it costs.

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty

Skyconfused
New face
New face

SKY

Post by Skyconfused » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi I am in the L&M part of Belmayne and had Sky over to install and the guy said that magnet phone lines(even with the analouge converter provided by magnet) do not work with their boxes? Is this true? Around teh corner I see a sky dish up...so I am wondering what the story is there?

Lenny
Addicted
Addicted

Post by Lenny » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:03 am

Hi Shane,

We are in Churchwell Square (LM) and I got SkyHD installed with a Magnet phoneline. That weird blue box we got off magnet plugs into the wall and the box itself plugs into the back of the Sky box. I've had it about 2 months with no problems so far.

The guy from Magnet who set up the phoneline and broadband was a certified idiot though so when we get a laptop etc I'd say I'll be plaguing Gaetan with questions..

gqma0
Has no life

Post by gqma0 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:17 am

Lenny,

I'd be glad to be of any assistance

Cheers

Lenny
Addicted
Addicted

Post by Lenny » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks Gaetan. I'll drop you a pm when we get a computer sorted.
I honestly tried my best to get an answer to three or four simple questions about the magnet set up (how many points are active, what does this box you are giving me actually do etc) from the guy installing it and I'm still none the wiser. His ability to avoid the question and either go off on a tangent or trail off was simply breathtaking. It got to the stage I just wanted him out of the house.

belwoman
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by belwoman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:37 am

Hi Lenny,
I think it depends on who you talk to in Magnet. I did get one person who obviously had no clue on the phone, but at least he was friendly. I persevered and we now have TV in all the rooms through a v clever combination of signal ( at least I think that's the techie term) bouncing and and the original points. It can be done.

The main reason I kept going with this is that there is a stipulation on our contracts about satelite dishes. I know a few have them now, but I am wondering for how long? It makes no odds to me if people have them but I did live somewhere previously where everyone was forced to remove them.

We've had this now over 2 months and it working fine.

Steevo
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by Steevo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:44 pm

I also went with Magnet. Got it installed the other day. The guy that installed it seemed to know his stuff and was very helpful in advising me on how to set it up in different locations.

Lenny
Addicted
Addicted

Post by Lenny » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:56 am

I must have been just unlucky by the looks of things.

On the day in question I had lads putting down carpets and builders cutting lumps out of my walls to find a leak so my patience levels were not the best to be honest.

Does the contract explicitly ban satellite dishes? Even the new council regulations can do nothing about dishes mounted on the rear of a house as far as I am aware..

belwoman
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Post by belwoman » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:13 am

Well when we were signing our solicitor did point it out to us and say that it was in there. She did a very detailed job as she was house buying herself and said just to be aware when planning our broadband and phone. I can't remeber the exact wording in the contract.

Fiona
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiona » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:45 am

Hi,

We got rid of Magnet because of the really poor service, but it was a complete nightmare trying to get SKY in. We had to apply for an ericom line which took 4 months to get installed and then with a couple of no shows from SKY we finally got it installed and we asked them to put the dish to the side of our house so that no one can really see it. There is a clause in our contracts for Castlemyone that states "NO SATTELITE DISHS AND NO COMMERICAL VEHICLES". Well the place is overflowing with BOTH, so much so that sometimes I think I live in an industrial estate there are so many Box vans around.

And while I am ranting about Box vans - my neighbours who drive them seem to think they are on a rally track and have no condsieration for the fact that there are small children out playing. (not mine though as she is only a toddler).

Anyway I'd say if you want Sky go ahead!!! We got SKYHD and its fab!!!

Fiona

Lenny
Addicted
Addicted

Post by Lenny » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:33 am

You are right about SkyHD. It is top class.
I'm ashamed to admit I even watched 15 mins of Last of the Summer Wine on BBCHD just because it looked so good. Oh the shame

Lenny
Addicted
Addicted

Post by Lenny » Fri May 18, 2007 10:42 pm

I suppose I had better take back what I said about Magnet earlier in this thread and. I think we have just dealt with the same guy as Belwoman.

A Magnet technician called out to the house today and fixed everything that was wrong. It took him a good part of the day but he stuck with it. He had the patience of a saint and took time to explain everything. He had some great suggestions that we took him up on too.

Our phone converter is now neatly stashed away in the Magnet box. 3 phone points now terminate there and all the rest of the points are active.

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Satellites

Post by tomf » Mon May 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi

Just to advise people - Satelitte Dishes are not allowed under the Master lease of St Samsons - I don't know about Castlemoyne.

People with Satellite dishes stand the possibility of being asked to remove them.

Personally, I would not go to the expense of getting Sky by Satellite and then being told politely to take down the dish, having paid for the box and a year's subscription.

Just to state my case here - I'd love to have Sky by Satellite and a HD Box to match my TV but, can't do it under the lease conditions.

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty