Broadband

Discussion of suppliers of kitchens etc., Magnet, NTL, Sky etc. and reviews of each. Here be the place for them

Moderators: tomf, gqma0, blackstudio, Administrator

mcmahol
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Broadband

Post by mcmahol » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi all, can anyone with Broadband please let me know how they went about it and who the supplier is?? I have tried Eircom and ntl but they have no cabling done in the area yet, which I think is absolutely disgraceful for an area in Dublin city!! I have tried magnet but they are very expensive and I dont like being cornered into using their service. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

susand
Has no life

Post by susand » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:39 pm

I am surprised about your thoughts on Magnet as they are excellent. Their broadband is very good their telephone excellent their TV adequate. Price wise to get one bill through the door without the hastle of NTL is really good. You know where you are with them. Hope this helps..

mcmahol
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by mcmahol » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Direct debits are no hasle at all!!!

In comparison to other provders magnet are expensive €39 a month for broadband that is no different to NTL or Eircom who charge €20!! I have heard a mixture of things about their service and not all has been good.

markos
Making myself at home
Making myself at home

Post by markos » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:42 pm

i find magnets broadband to be very good value ,eircom and the rest might say they are cheaper but as i found in other houses i have lived in and had eircom installed their bills always seem to have some hidden costs.magnet might have a bad rep for their tv service but their broadband is very good and quick,their phone service seems to be just as good,at the start they had some teething problems but thats all fine now.

i have a package with just phone and broadband no tv as i have a sky dish,and i think its cheap for the service you get.

susand
Has no life

Post by susand » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:27 am

I agree Marcos and even the TV is really good now its just a matter of getting used to it.

I find Eircom that my daughter uses in her house is not as efficient if she uses upstairs constantly shutting down etc. the service call centre is in India as well and although good they are really difficult to discuss problems etc.

On the other hand Magnet have good lines of communications open to you and you can just dial them up and they can access remotely with some problems that were there initially.

But with everthing its down to personal taste. Some of you have sky and ime envious but again its down to what you want...

gqma0
Has no life

Magnet

Post by gqma0 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:28 am

Magnet are the best provider I've ever had.

At the time I wanted NTL as they're the cheapest but we had no NTL connection when we moved in.

So I subscribed to Magnet for Broadband only and they are the best provider. They've improved a lot for the TV afaik and they also provide the phone service. No issues for the last 18 mth regarding the direct debit with them. Also, there are no contentio rates with them and they are the fastest provider in Ireland for both downloads and uploads.

With Eircom, you still have to pay for line rental + there are contentio rates which can be a hassle overtime. I've had Eircom in the past and with the popularity of the broadband, I found myself with a near dialup speed (512K dropped to 52K) as neighbours around would be downloading. The other bad thing about Eircom is that the router provided (Netopia) wasn't the best one and I had to reboot it from time to time.

So in conclusion, I would use
1) Magnet for the speed (fastest in the country for downloads and uploads) and reliability
2) NTL for the price. They're reliable as well.

No go with Eircom or any other ADSL provider because of contentio rates and line rental prices

Hope that helps with the decision

Gaetan

tomf
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Agree with G

Post by tomf » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:28 pm

I'd like to agree with Gaten - don't I always !!

I have the basic Magnet package of 39 Euro for the 2M service and phone.

I get 2M upload and download constantly without any issues. Uptime is excellent - I can only remember 1 time it was off in the past 18 months.

I have a home office I use mainly at nightime - when you would expect loads to be higher. I would hate to think of going back to Eircom or NTL for internet.

I do not use Magnet for TV - I like rugby and, at the time, Magnet did not have Sky. SO, I use NTL for TV and, again, that works very well. only problem is the NTL box and EPG - I think it is totally useless.

SO, all in all I'm happy with service. However, I can see why people do put up a sat dish and receive Sky - I was thinking about it as I like the HD side of the service from Sky.

So, that's my story on systems. You will find there is a little band of techies around here - anything u need to know on Home cinema systems - just ask.

Tom
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty